All employers need to conduct appropriate background checks before completing the hiring process. It is important they follow these tips to ensure it is done correctly.
El Paso, Texas (PRWEB) October 25, 2013
Performing a background check prior to hiring a new employee is more important now than ever. Background checks don’t just protect an employer from the possibility of theft by employees, but they’re also important to improve employee loyalty and protect other employees from safety threats in the workplace.
SecuritySystemReviews.com, a site that provides the best home security system reviews, including Lifeshield reviews, created a list of tips for business owners and employers to use background checks to improve the safety and security of a workplace. SecuritySystemReviews.com also provides site visitors with the best security system discounts, in addition to reviews.
1. Always conduct background checks prior to hiring an employee. It’s much less expensive, time-consuming and potentially dangerous to conduct a background search during the hiring process, as opposed to conducting an investigation after an employee has been hired and may have engaged in misconduct. Even with the best security system in-place, employees can find opportunities to conduct criminal activity once placed in a particular position within a company. It’s best to take preemptive action against such threats.
2. Choose specific background checks on the position being filled. For example, an individual who is applying for a financial position should likely submit to a credit check, whereas a potential employee that will be driving on the job should be subject to a driving record check. All employees, regardless of position, should be required to undergo a criminal background check. Background checks that can be conducted in addition to criminal and driving records include sex offender registries, employment and educational verification, and personal references.
3. Always alert potential employees that background checks will take place if an individual opts to apply for a position. It’s important to fully disclose what information will be obtained and how it will be used. Employers should also state from the start, beginning with employment ads, that all laws will be followed during the background checks completed.
4. Always ask applicants to give their written consent before conducting a background search of any kind.
5. An employer shouldn’t attempt to do the background research on his or her own. Background checks should always be conducted by a trained human resources professional or an outside organization that specializes in this type of service. If an online company is used to conduct background searches, the employer should ensure the company is obtained legally and accurately by choosing a reputable company.
SecuritySystemReviews.com is the leading third party, independent provider of information related to the home security industry, including security system monitoring facts. The company provides visitors with reviews, rankings and access to coupons and discount codes for use on the installation of a home security system.