Dallas, TX (PRWEB) January 18, 2014
Despite the launch of Spectrum Pharmaceuticals’ EOquin, Nominal Growth in US and EU Bladder Cancer Market is expected from 2012 to 2017.
This report estimates the bladder cancer market in the US and 5EU (France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and UK) in 2012 to be valued at $239.3m. This market is defined as the sales of branded drugs, including Valstar (US only) and Javlor (Europe only), and major generics regimens across both markets. Predominantly due to the higher price of drugs, the majority of sales were generated in the US market, $139.4m (58%), with EU sales estimated to be $99.8m (42%).
By the end of the study period in 2017, GlobalData forecasts global sales in the bladder cancer market to increase to $297.5m, at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4%. The majority of sales at this point will still come from the US, with $181.1m (61%), with its market share increasing marginally from 58% in 2012 to 61% by the end of the forecast period. Overall, GlobalData expects an increase in market size primarily due to a forecast increase in number of incident cases across the study period in the 6MM and the entrance of EOquin into the market during the forecast period.
Complete report is available at http://www.marketoptimizer.org/opportunityanalyzer-bladder-cancer-opportunity-analysis-and-forecasts-to-2017.html.
The emergence of Spectrum Pharmaceuticals’ EOquin, the only product in the pipeline to enter the market during the forecast period, will also have a small incremental effect on the bladder cancer market. Global sales for EOquin will account for $13.2m in its launch year, 2016, and $26.1m in 2017, accounting for 8.8% of sales in that year.
There are several major drivers of the bladder cancer market in the US and 5EU.
- The forecast increase in number of incident cases of bladder cancer will be the single greatest driver for growth across the study period.
- The launch of EOquin into the market in 2016 will drive growth of the market towards the end of the forecast period. However, GlobalData also anticipates that the EOquin’s most profound impact on the market will not occur until after the forecast period ends in 2017. This report estimates global sales for EOquin in 2016 to be $13.2m and peak-year sales during the forecast in 2017 to reach $26.1m, accounting for 8.8% of global bladder cancer sales.
- The 2009 re-launch of branded therapy Valstar (2009) into the US market and subsequent gradual increase in patient share is driving modest growth of this market.
There will also be some barriers to the growth of the bladder cancer market in the US and 5EU.
- GlobalData has identified a lack of late-stage company-sponsored pipeline developments in the bladder cancer setting by large pharmaceutical and biotech companies. This lack of interest will result in fewer pipeline products entering the market, in turn stagnating growth.
- The highly generic nature of the bladder cancer setting will inhibit growth as pricing, sales and marketing, and competition will all be truncated.
- The majority of bladder cancer patients are over the age of 60; this means a large portion of them in the US will receive insurance coverage through Medicare. The pending Medicare Prescription Drug Price Negotiation Act legislation would allow Medicare to negotiate lower drug prices; this lowers the reimbursement of drugs in this setting and is expected to act as a barrier for growth.
- In Europe, meanwhile, the economic crisis has meant that healthcare systems have heightened their focus on providing cost-effective healthcare. Reimbursement decision-makers like the UK’s NICE have rejected drugs in bladder cancer in the past, such as Javlor, on this basis of this, which means new entrants will need to demonstrate significant improvements in efficacy to substantiate any premium price claims.
High Unmet Needs Exist Across the Different Patient Populations
Interviewed experts report the level of unmet need in the bladder cancer market to be high, both in the early-stage, non-muscle invasive bladder cancer (NMIBC) and the late-stage muscle-invasive and metastatic settings. Little progress has been made over the past 10 years that has significantly changed the treatment algorithm for patients or provided more efficacious treatment options. GlobalData has identified better cure rates for NMIBC patients to be one of the key unmet needs.
Purchase a copy of this report at http://www.marketoptimizer.org/contacts/purchase?rname=4681.
Browse more reports on Pharmaceuticals Market at http://www.marketoptimizer.org/category/life-sciences/pharmaceuticals.
Contact sales(at)marketoptimizer(dot)org for further information.
MarketOptimizer.org (http://www.marketoptimizer.org/) is an online database of market research reports offers in-depth analysis of over 5000 market segments. The library has syndicated reports by leading market research publishers across the globe and also offer customized market research reports for multiple industries.