Tempe, AZ (PRWEB) December 06, 2013
The Maricopa Community Colleges are looking for a new Governing Board member to fill the seat vacated when Ben Miranda suddenly passed away in November.
This seat will represent District 5, which comprises parts of Avondale, Buckeye, Glendale, Goodyear and Phoenix, as well as the Gila River Indian Community, Guadalupe, the Tohono O’Odham Nation and Tolleson; the term of service extends until December 31, 2014.
An election will be held November 4, 2014 to determine the person who will hold office for the remainder of the term, which expires December 31, 2016.
At the Board's November 26 meeting, Board President Doyle Burke declared the seat vacant.
Dr. Rufus Glasper, Chancellor of the Maricopa Community Colleges, has notified Dr. Donald D. Covey, Maricopa County Superintendent of Schools, of the vacancy. Dr. Covey, who is authorized by state statute to appoint the new member, will work with the Maricopa Community Colleges to select an individual to fill the vacancy.
The appointed board member must have resided in District 5 for at least one year prior to appointment and must be a registered voter. Neither employees of Maricopa Community Colleges nor their spouses are eligible to serve on the board. Those interested must submit a written letter of interest, as well as additional information, including, but not limited to:
· Name, address, home and work phone numbers, proof of living at least one year in District 5 and current voter registration and a signed notarized affidavit attesting to qualification (registration and residency)
· Career and Educational background, personal and professional skills and experience, and service to the community and community college and how these aspects of the applicant's life would help the District accomplish its goals for increasing student academic progress, achievement and success
· Descriptions of how a positive and negative Board Member performs
· Description of priorities as a Board Member
· Description of why applicant would be the best nominee to be appointed to the Board
This required material must be received by 5:00 pm on December 20, 2013 and must be submitted to:
Maricopa Governing Board President
Maricopa Community Colleges
District Support Services Building
2411 West 14th Street
Tempe, AZ 85281
A team will choose three candidates to go forward in the selection process. The team’s members will include Mr. Burke, Dr. Glasper, Yvette Espinosa (Faculty Senate President at South Mountain Community College), and Janey Buri (President of the Professional Staff Association at GateWay Community College).
If a nominee is selected as one of the three candidates, he or she will be required to attend a formal Candidate Review Session with Dr. Covey and members of the Maricopa County Education Service Agency staff. The final choice will be made by Dr. Covey and will be announced on or before January 20, 2014.
Learn more about the details related to the Nomination Procedures and Processes, including a full description of the materials that applicants must submit.
The Maricopa Community College system includes 10 colleges – Chandler-Gilbert, Estrella Mountain, GateWay, Glendale, Mesa, Paradise Valley, Phoenix, Rio Salado, Scottsdale and South Mountain. It also includes the Maricopa Skill Center, Southwest Skill Center, and several satellite campuses and business/industry, technical and customized training institutes.