Our vision is to create sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere.
Houston, TX (PRWEB) November 19, 2013
Today, DuPont Senior Vice President James C. Collins, Jr. will deliver an address on the “Science of Securing our Energy Future” at the 2013 Total Energy USA Conference.
“Our vision is to create sustainable solutions essential to a better, safer, healthier life for people everywhere. In short, we are addressing the world’s toughest challenges through science-based solutions. Energy is, of course, one of the compelling challenges we face as a planet, and that is what brings me here to Total Energy today,” said Collins.
DuPont has demonstrated global leadership in the energy sector through innovations in traditional and renewable energy technologies:
- DuPont is in the process of building one of the world’s first and – upon completion – largest cellulosic biorefineries in Nevada, Iowa. The facility will use agricultural waste from neighboring farms as a feedstock and supply 30 million gallons per year of cellulosic renewable fuel annually.
- DuPont is pursuing advanced renewable fuel with BP in the form of a 50/50 joint venture called Butamax™. The joint venture has developed and extensively tested bio-butanol, a higher alcohol fuel produced by fermenting biomass.
- DuPont is the leading supplier of specialty materials to the solar energy industry. More than half of the world’s 400 million solar panels are made with advanced materials from DuPont, such as DuPont™ Tedlar® polyvinyl fluoride films and DuPont™ Solamet® photovoltaic metallizations. These innovations increase the power output and reliable lifetime of solar panels, helping to reduce overall system costs for solar energy.
- DuPont high-performance polymers improve vehicle engine efficiency and reduce weight to lower emissions and improve fuel economy.
- DuPont removes harmful contaminants from the air by licensing clean technologies that process sour refinery fuels and off-gases to meet fuel and air quality regulations around the globe.
For this work, DuPont is a finalist for the Total Energy USA Chairman’s Innovation Award for the Mid-Large Cap category. The Chairman’s Innovation Award is the industry platform to acknowledge the most innovative energy – related products, services or business models that will make a large impact on the energy business.
DuPont also is proud to sponsor a workshop on Thursday, Nov. 21, at 9:00 a.m. CST entitled, “Defining Renewable Energy Reserves.” This event will be the first North American gathering to discuss applying the UN’s Fossil Resource Reserve Methodology to renewable electricity and fuels and to identify the appropriate stakeholders to be recommended to the new UN task force to address this topic. Participants include: Jan Koninckx, global business director for BioRefineries at DuPont Industrial Biosciences; David MacDonald, chair of the UN Expert Group on Resource Classification and vice president of Segment Reserves, BP; and, Jim Lane, editor and publisher of Biofuels Digest.
For more information on the Total Energy USA Conference & Exposition, visit http://totalenergyusa.com/.
For more information on the “Defining Renewable Energy Reserves” workshop, visit http://bit.ly/19lkWmg.
DuPont (NYSE: DD) has been bringing world-class science and engineering to the global marketplace in the form of innovative products, materials, and services since 1802. The company believes that by collaborating with customers, governments, NGOs, and thought leaders we can help find solutions to such global challenges as providing enough healthy food for people everywhere, decreasing dependence on fossil fuels, and protecting life and the environment. For additional information about DuPont and its commitment to inclusive innovation, please visit http://www.dupont.com.
# # #
The DuPont Oval Logo, DuPont™, The miracles of science™, Butamax™, Tedlar® and Solamet® are registered trademarks or trademarks of DuPont or its affiliates.