Charlotte, NC (PRWEB) November 20, 2013
Apartment residents throughout the country may be dedicated to being greener, but may simultaneously feel as if they don’t have many options due to their living situation. This doesn’t have to be the case, and there are a number of ways people who live in apartments can be more environmentally-friendly, according to the home security and alarm professionals at AlarmSystemReport.com. AlarmSystemReport.com is a site providing reviews of the nation’s top alarm companies, including ADT reviews and Protect America reviews.
AlarmSystemReport.com, in addition to encouraging apartment dwellers to use wireless home alarm systems to protect their security, has also created this list of green living tips:
1. Window treatments can play a big role in how energy efficient any living space is, including an apartment. Find shades or curtains that are going to preserve the heat in the winter, and keep a space cool in the summer.
2. Don’t underestimate the importance of recycling. Recycling can seem like an old-fashioned way to be green, but it’s one of the most effective things an individual can do for the environment. Most apartment complexes offer recycling bins, so take advantage.
3. For an ultra-easy fix, replace incandescent light bulbs, and instead use compact fluorescent bulbs or LED options.
4. Maintain appliances. Although a renter may not own their appliances, when these devices are well-taken care of, they’re more efficient. It’s also a good idea to be smart about how appliances are used. For example, only use a dishwasher if it’s totally full, and avoid the heated dry cycle. Also, get into a habit of turning off devices when they’re not in use.
5. Starting a window garden is a great idea for apartment residents. There may not be a yard for a full garden, but plant a few vegetables or herbs that are used most frequently.
6. Use a water-filtration device to cut down on plastic bottle usage.
7. Apartment dwellers can also work with their landlord to make bigger changes. For example, show your landlord how Energy Star appliances or more efficient outdoor lights with motion detectors could not only help the complex be greener, but also how it can save the landlord money. Other changes that could be considered include programmable thermostats and timers for sprinklers.
As the premier provider of information about the home alarm and security system in the U.S., AlarmSystemReport.com is one of the most relied upon tools for people considering the installation of an alarm system. The site provides reviews of top companies throughout the country, from Alaska security systems companies to reviews of Florida security systems. In addition to independent, unbiased reviews, site visitors can also take advantage of valuable coupons and discount codes offered.