Burbank, Calif. (PRWEB) October 30, 2014
Earlier this year, Ellen DeGeneres made headlines with an Oscar®-night selfie that set Twitter records and cemented her standing as the savviest of social media superstars. Now, the Emmy®-winning talk show host is doubling down on the digital domain and asking her millions of viewers and online followers, friends and subscribers to join her for the launch of ellentube (http://www.ellentube.com), an all-new digital destination and iOS application featuring exclusive online video from The Ellen DeGeneres Show and clips from the daily program, as well as user-generated content submitted by Ellen show viewers and fans of DeGeneres. All content on the new site and app will be Ellen-friendly and curated by DeGeneres and her team.
DeGeneres has long been a lovable leader in the digital space, with a massive, friendly following across numerous platforms, including:
- YouTube, where TheEllenShow channel averages more than 100 million views per month, has generated nearly three billion video views and has more than 10 million subscribers
- Twitter, where Ellen is the #1 most-followed TV personality on the service, with the show’s feed at @TheEllenShow boasting more than 33 million followers
- Facebook, where she’s the #1 TV host on the social network, with more than 16 million “likes” for the show’s official page at http://www.facebook.com/ellentv
- Instagram, where @TheEllenShow ranks as the #1 TV show, with more than six million followers
- Social gaming, where Ellen’s Heads Up! app debuted as the #1 paid game app in May 2013 and has more than 5.5 million downloads to date
- And EllenTV.com, the official website of her daily talk show, which generates more than 100 million page views monthly (All stats as of October 2014)
ellentube was created by DeGeneres in concert with Ellen show executive producers Mary Connelly, Ed Glavin and Andy Lassner. Fans visiting ellentube will be able to upload their own funny, touching, one-of-a-kind videos, with user-generated submissions to be reviewed by the Ellen team before being posted to the site, with the best user videos being considered for possible showcase on the Ellen show.
And yes, there will be cats … and kids … and celebrities … and lots of laughs … and a whole lot more. A must-visit destination for fans of The Ellen DeGeneres Show and Ellen herself, ellentube will be organized around video playlists drawing from a number of the most popular Ellen video categories. Here’s how Ellen herself describes them:
- Cats: “This is what the Internet is all about — cat videos. The working title for this website was ‘Ellen’s Cat Video Emporium,’ but we decided to make it a little more broad.”
- Kids: “Who doesn’t love kids? Portia and I don’t have kids of our own. But we love to watch their funny videos. It’s essentially the same as parenting our own child, as any parent will tell you.”
- Funny: “The title says it all. These videos are all going to make you laugh. Or chuckle. Or LOL. Or ROTFL. Or LSHYFWDII. (That stands for Laugh So Hard You Forget What Day It Is.)”
- Incredible: “The Internet is full of epic wins caught on tape, and that’s what you’re getting here. Prepare to be blown away.”
- Trending: “Here’s where all of my current favorite videos are going to live, both from my show and around the world. Make sure to check back and see what’s trending!”
- Celebrity Scares: “If you’re a celebrity, and you’ve been to my show, you can probably bet what this category is all about. Honestly, the fact that any celebrities are still willing to sit next to me is a miracle.”
- Heads Up!: “My favorite thing about my app Heads Up! is that it records you while you’re playing it. Now those funny videos y’all send to me wind up right here. Enjoy.”
Ellen DeGeneres said: “I am so excited to tell you about this. It’s a new thing called ellentube, and it’s a place that you can find videos that are hilarious and interesting. We’re going to post things from the show that you won’t see anywhere else. And what makes our site different than any other place is that if you accidentally type in a wrong word, you’re not going to stumble upon something that’s bad or mean or something like that. You know how that can happen. So everything on the site is fun, and there is nothing mean-spirited. And if you have a video that you want me to see, I’d love to see it. So you can send it to me by uploading it on ellentube, and that way I see it right away. It goes straight to me.”
Mike Darnell said: “Ellen DeGeneres’ amazing ability to inspire, entertain and engage people from around the world has made her the queen of social media with more than 100 million monthly views on YouTube. With the creation of ellentube, she is putting all of that incredible video content in one Ellen-friendly place, giving her viewers and fans a place to post their content and be part of her community.”
The Ellen DeGeneres Show executive producers Mary Connelly, Ed Glavin and Andy Lassner said: “ellentube seems like the next obvious evolution of our show. We already search the Internet for inspiring and hilarious guests, and now we have a place where we can share them with the world 24 hours a day. We had been posting them on Friendster and no one was seeing them.”
Additional Information About ellentube
- To watch Ellen make the announcement of ellentube on her show, click here: http://www.ellentube.com/media/0_4qw6mvck
- In addition to viewing content from the ellentube site on a computer, tablet or mobile device, Ellen fans can also download the ellentube iOS application. The app will launch on the iPhone concurrent with the website, with an iPad release to follow shortly thereafter.
- The iOS app allows users to upload video clips by either capturing video from within the app or selecting existing videos from their device’s library. The “Watchlist” feature gives users the ability to create a list of videos they like and want to save for viewing later.
- Target, a partner of The Ellen DeGeneres Show this season, has also signed on as the official launch sponsor of ellentube.
Ellen Digital Ventures
- The unveiling of ellentube marks the first initiative from the recently formed Ellen Digital Ventures, a new business created by WBTVG and DeGeneres that will extend Ellen’s award-winning television franchise and robust digital business, social and gaming audiences.
- To supervise the future day-to-day activities of Ellen Digital Ventures following the launch of ellentube, WBTVG has tapped digital industry executive Jill Braff to serve as General Manager, reporting to Mike Darnell, President, Warner Bros. Unscripted and Alternative Television, and Donna Redier Linsk, Executive Vice President, Business Operations and Programming, Telepictures. Braff will also work closely with Ellen show executive producers Mary Connelly, Ed Glavin and Andy Lassner, and she will be responsible for managing the operations of the new venture.
- A 20-year digital industry executive, Braff was previously Executive Vice President of Digital Commerce for HSN. Before that, she was CEO of Scrapblog, a social photo business that had more than 2.5 million registered users. Braff was also a leader in the early mobile gaming market, recognized for building Glu Mobile into a public mobile game company as Senior Vice President, Global Publishing. Earlier in her career, Braff held marketing positions at Ancestry.com, The Learning Company, SEGA of America and Nintendo of America.
About The Ellen DeGeneres Show
Now in its 12th season, The Ellen DeGeneres Show continues to be the daytime destination for laughter, generosity and the biggest stars from television, film and music. Ellen has become the place for today’s topical stories and the showcase for the most viral sensations from around the world. The show has now earned an impressive total of 51 Daytime Emmy® Awards. Originating from Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, The Ellen DeGeneres Show is produced by A Very Good Production and WAD Productions, Inc. in association with Telepictures, an industry-leading and Emmy® Award–winning producer of syndicated programming, and is distributed by Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution. Ellen DeGeneres, Mary Connelly, Ed Glavin and Andy Lassner serve as executive producers.
# # #
(818) 954-4855, tammy(dot)golihew(at)warnerbros(dot)com
(212) 506-4355, laura(dot)mandel(at)warnerbros(dot)com
(818) 954-5574, melissa(dot)littlepadgitt(at)ellentv(dot)com