LOS ANGELES (PRWEB) October 25, 2019
Co-hosted by Greenberg Traurig Shareholders Jordan D. Grotzinger and Valerie W. Ho, Episode 9 examined the differences between trade secrets and patents and what businesses should consider in choosing which protection to implement. Ho focuses her practice on intellectual property litigation and handles a variety of patent, trademark, copyright, and entertainment-related disputes.
According to Grotzinger and Ho, deciding which protection to implement depends on business considerations and weighing the relative benefits of each type of intellectual property:
- Cost – What does it cost to apply for and maintain a patent? What does it cost to maintain the secrecy of a trade secret?
- Timing – How long do you want to protect your asset? Is the length of a patent sufficient, or do you want perpetual protection?
- Risk of duplication – How easily can the asset be reverse-engineered?
- Maintaining secrecy – How likely is it that implemented trade secret protections will work?
- Patentability – Is the asset subject to patent protection?
The Trade Secret Law Evolution Podcast is designed to help business leaders, in-house counsel, and entrepreneurs stay current on trade secret law, to help them protect their companies’ most valuable assets. Each episode addresses recent developments in the law and concludes with key takeaways. The podcast is available on the Greenberg Traurig website, as well as on Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, and Spotify.
Episodes to date:
- Pilot Episode
- Agency, Statute of Limitations, Inevitable Disclosure and More
- Trade Secret Identification, Irreparable Harm and More
- Sovereign Immunity from Trade Secret Theft and What Courts Consider When Ruling on Trade Secret Status
- Choice of Law, Trade Secret Identification, Supporting Independent Economic Value and More
- What Trade Secret Identification Really Means, Consent to Disclosure, and Sufficiency of Evidence
- Soaring Litigation Costs, What to do About it, Proving That Your Asset is a Trade Secret, and Keeping it That Way
- Preemption, Proving Likelihood of Success After Unauthorized Mass Download, Federal Subject Matter Jurisdiction and Pre-DTSA Misappropriation
The Trade Secret Law Evolution Podcast was created by Shareholder Jordan Grotzinger, who co-chairs the Los Angeles Litigation Practice. Grotzinger is a business trial lawyer focusing on trade secret law, consumer class action defense, financial services, and entertainment litigation in federal and state courts. He has tried jury and non-jury cases throughout California and has argued before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the California Court of Appeal.
Ho is experienced trying jury and non-jury cases in federal and state courts and has represented clients across a variety of industries, including consumer products, toys and e-commerce. She is also experienced prosecuting and defending patent disputes involving a wide range of technologies including consumer electronics, medical devices, biometrics systems, industrial machinery and equipment, anti-piracy coding, and remote-controlled and robotic toys.
About Greenberg Traurig, LLP: Greenberg Traurig, LLP (GT) has approximately 2100 attorneys in 41 locations in the United States, Latin America, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. GT has been recognized for its philanthropic giving, diversity, and innovation, and is consistently among the largest firms in the U.S. on the Law360 400 and among the Top 20 on the Am Law Global 100. Web: http://www.gtlaw.com Twitter: @GT_Law.