Coral Springs, Florida (PRWEB) September 24, 2013
Point-of-Care Partners (POCP), a leader in health IT management consulting, today announced its new ePrescribing State Law Review, a one-stop compliance resource enabling policymakers, vendors, EDI intermediaries, retail and specialty pharmacies, and other stakeholders to make a clean break from time-consuming regulatory research and tracking of changes.
The newly redesigned ePrescribing State Law Review is a vital resource of the latest state-specific information on the changing regulatory landscape affecting eMedication Management. It contains the most currently available rules from state boards of pharmacy, narcotics, medicine and nursing, insurance commissioners, state health and safety codes, as well as state statutes and Medicaid rules and regulations.
“As electronic prescribing becomes the standard of practice, states will continue to evolve their regulations to adapt to new possibilities,” said Connie Sinclair, a pharmacist and managing editor of the review. “We are seeing legislation addressing not only EPCS, but requiring electronic prior authorization and modifying prescriptive authority rules for mid-level prescribers. Each state has different rules and regulations pertaining to the printing and faxing of prescriptions from computer-based clinical solutions. If a stakeholder such as an EHR vendor gets it wrong, a state board could shut down ePrescribing or penalize customers."
Keeping ahead of these myriad changes provides competitive advantage to EHR vendors. “In my role as a product manager at two different EHR vendors, we spent hundreds of hours tracking and trying to interpret state ePrescribing regulations,” said Michael Burger, senior consultant at POCP. “A single-source of analysis and aggregated business rules such as the State Law Review is exactly what we needed to prevent key requirements from slipping through the cracks.”
ePrescribing State Law Review Features:
- Comprehensive research of federal and state-by-state board of pharmacy (BOP) rules, regulations, and laws on ePrescribing, with real-time updates
- Local output format requirements for faxed and printed prescriptions
- Prescriptive authority and documentation requirements for mid-level providers
- State requirements for ePrescribing system approval—addresses, URLs and BOP executive contact information are provided
- A data table summarizing each state’s requirements as a shortcut reference for legal compliance, handy for programmers, customer service and implementation analysts
- A detailed backup with relevant regulations and history of changes is provided separately
About Point-of-Care Partners
Point-of-Care Partners is a health IT management consulting firm with in-depth expertise in ePrescribing, eMedication management, health information exchange, accountable care organizations and multi-stakeholder initiatives and other programs requiring health IT project management. For more information, go to http://www.pocp.com, email erxlawreview(at)pocp(dot)com, or follow us at twitter.com/pocpHIT.