WASHINGTON (PRWEB) February 01, 2022
On February 7, at noon EST, the United States Mint (Mint) will begin accepting orders for products featuring the first coin in the American Women Quarters Program. The coin honors writer, poet, performer, social activist, and teacher Maya Angelou.
Angelou rose to international prominence as an author after the publication of her groundbreaking autobiography, “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.” Angelou’s published works of verse, non-fiction, and fiction include more than 30 bestselling titles. Her remarkable career encompasses dance, theater, journalism, and social activism. The recipient of more than 30 honorary degrees, Angelou read “On the Pulse of Morning” at the 1992 inauguration of President Bill Clinton. Angelou’s reading marked the first time an African American woman wrote and presented a poem at a Presidential inauguration. In 2010, President Barack Obama awarded Angelou the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and she was the 2013 recipient of the Literarian Award, an honorary National Book Award for contributions to the literary community.
The coin’s reverse (tails) design depicts Maya Angelou with her arms uplifted. Behind her are a bird in flight and a rising sun, images inspired by her poetry and symbolic of the way she lived. It was designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Designer Emily Damstra and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artist Craig A. Campbell. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “MAYA ANGELOU,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” and “QUARTER DOLLAR.”
The obverse (heads) depicts a portrait of George Washington, originally composed and sculpted by Laura Gardin Fraser to mark George Washington’s 200th birthday. A recommended design for the 1932 quarter, then-Treasury Secretary Mellon ultimately selected the familiar John Flannigan design. Inscriptions are “LIBERTY,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” and “2022.” The obverse design is common to all quarters issued in the series.
Product options and pricing are below.
- PRODUCT CODE: 22WBA, PRODUCT OPTION: 100-Coin Bag, MINT MARK: P, PRICE: $40.00
- PRODUCT CODE: 22WBB, PRODUCT OPTION: 100-Coin Bag, MINT MARK: D, PRICE: $40.00
- PRODUCT CODE: 22WRA, PRODUCT OPTION: Two-Roll Set, MINT MARK: P, D, PRICE: $36.00
- PRODUCT CODE: 22WRB, PRODUCT OPTION: Three-Roll Set, MINT MARK: P, D, S, PRICE: $54.00
Coins in bags are produced at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities. The three-roll set contains coins from Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco.
We invite you to learn more and enroll in the American Women Quarters Program today. Limited quantities will be produced, so sign up to ensure you receive a complete collection of American Women Quarters Program numismatic products.
Purchase the rolls and bags of the Maya Angelou Quarters by visiting the product detail page.
Note: To ensure that all members of the public have fair and equal access to United States Mint products, the United States Mint will not accept and will not honor orders placed prior to the official on-sale date of February 7, 2022, at noon EST.
About the United States Mint
Congress created the United States Mint in 1792, and the Mint became part of the Department of the Treasury in 1873. As the Nation’s sole manufacturer of legal tender coinage, the Mint is responsible for producing circulating coinage for the Nation to conduct its trade and commerce. The Mint also produces numismatic products, including proof, uncirculated, and commemorative coins; Congressional Gold Medals; silver and bronze medals; and silver and gold bullion coins. Its numismatic programs are self-sustaining and operate at no cost to taxpayers.
- Visit https://catalog.usmint.gov/coins/coin-programs/american-women-quarters-program/ for information about the American Women Quarters Program.
- Visit https://www.usmint.gov/about for information about the United States Mint.
- View B roll of Maya Angelou quarter production.
- Visit and subscribe to the United States Mint’s YouTube channel to view videos about the United States Mint.
- View images of the Maya Angelou Quarter here.
- Visit https://catalog.usmint.gov/email-signup to subscribe to United States Mint electronic product notifications, news releases, and public statements.
- Sign up for RSS Feeds from the United States Mint and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest.
# # #
United States Mint – Connecting America through Coins