YPSILANTI, Mich. (PRWEB) April 20, 2020
In response to the impact of the COVID-19 crisis on Eastern Michigan University and the surrounding community, GameAbove has provided and will keep giving critical contributions to assist university students, local hospitals, and hundreds of families.
GameAbove, a group of EMU alumni that previously donated more than $13 million supporting a variety of initiatives on and off campus, recognizes the need to ease the economic hardships created by the global pandemic and to support frontline healthcare workers treating those affected by the virus.
“College students are facing unimaginable challenges. Many families, now faced with teaching their children at home, have lacked the tools for online education. Other residents suddenly find themselves in need of food and other basic supplies. And, just as importantly, nurses and doctors at local hospitals are in desperate need for protective equipment,” said GameAbove spokesperson Denis Wolcott. “EMU is doing their part and stepping up for the community; GameAbove is part of that family. We want to help their efforts continue and go further, contributing where it will make a positive, immediate impact – and we’re calling on others to do the same.”
Today, GameAbove announced the following supportive efforts in collaboration with EMU:
- EMU Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) project: GameAbove funds are helping EMU students, faculty, and staff to purchase tools and supplies to make masks, gowns and other PPE for nurses, doctors and staff at St. Joseph Mercy Hospital and Henry Ford Hospital.
- Growing the EMU Student Emergency Fund: Reallocating $68,000 of donated funds from low-priority initiatives and providing up to $50,000 in additional matching donations. The fund, created through GameAbove’s “Students Matter Most” initiative, provides one-time monetary assistance to students who are experiencing an unforeseen crisis to cover expenses which can impact a student’s ability to continue their education.
- Hope Clinic (Ypsilanti): Contributing $26,650 in a matching donation ($53,300 total raised) to help continue and expand the clinic’s free services (medical and dental care, food, and other needs) during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Ypsilanti Community Schools: $10,000 to a program that is providing internet service and computers to local families in need.
- Food Gatherers: $10,000 to this critical food bank program. Like other food banks across the country, demands for these services have increased with large numbers of people losing their jobs from COVID-19 related closures.
As the COVID-19 crisis evolves, GameAbove will continue to align its philanthropic resources based on emerging needs with a priority on food, medical and emergency assistance to Eastern Michigan University and the surrounding community. Persons, companies and organizations interested in matching donations or assisting these COVID-19 relief programs can get details at http://www.emich.edu/engage.
At GameAbove, our primary focus is to help shape, inspire and support the current and future students of Eastern Michigan University by reaching new heights in learning through transformation and inspiration in the educational experience. Together, we will strive for that next level of success with a GameAbove all others. The GameAbove family of organizations will also help improve the higher education experience by exploring and supporting the use of innovative financial models to sustain universities, creative giving within the community, enhancing the campus environment, elevating athletics, and promoting pioneering academic programs. http://www.gameabove.com
Media contact for GameAbove:
Denis Wolcott, 213-200-1563, DWolcott@FraserCommunications.com