Be alert for poor leaf development, excessive deadwood or any of the Top 5 Tree Problems for Spring
Huntingdon Valley, PA (PRWEB) June 05, 2017
Trees got a late start this year thanks to an unusually rainy Spring. Finally, trees are in full leaf and homeowners will be better able to spot the warning signs of tree health problems. Giroud Tree and Lawn explains that Philadelphia homeowners should to be alert for the Top 5 Tree Problems for Spring and if needed, get a professional tree service inspection.
“As we roll towards summer, trees should have a full crown of lush green leaves,” explains Lou Giroud, President of Giroud Tree and Lawn and ISA Certified Arborist. “Evergreens should have new buds and vibrant color. Trees with health problems will present a much different picture.”
The five major warning signs that a tree’s health is in jeopardy are:
1. Delayed or Partial Leaf Out: When a tree leafs out later than others of the same type, has minimal new growth, dwarf leaves or only some sections of the tree leaf out, the tree may have health issues.
2. Damaged Leaves: Chewed, yellowing or discolored leaves may be signs of insect activity or disease.
3. Borers: One of the biggest concerns is Emerald Ash Borer which are rapidly spreading across our area. Emerald Ash Borer is 100% fatal to Ash trees. Professional treatment is the only way to protect Ash from this deadly pest.
4. Decay: Mushrooms and shelf fungi are symptoms of decay when growing out of the root system or trunk of a tree. Another sign of decay is a cavity. If the decay is extensive, then the tree may be hazardous.
5. Excessive deadwood: Dead branches can be a serious safety hazard to people and property. Brittle branches tend to break more easily in storms.
The following are the key tree service actions Philadelphia homeowners can take now to protect tree health and safety.
1. Get a health inspection: Have an ISA Certified Arborist check trees for cracks, hidden deadwood and unsafe root conditions which are prime targets for storm damage and disease.
2. Prune: Remove weak, dead or weakly attached limbs; thin crowns for improved air flow; and, elevate branches away from pool, driveway and walks.
3. Install cable supports in weak limbs: Trees with multiple trunks or included bark often require tree cable supports to keep from splitting apart. The hardware must fit the specific problem and be installed at the proper height and tension.
4. Fertilize now for maximum benefit: Ensure a tree service professional uses a time release formula with Bio-stimulants to replenish the nutrients lost to the lawn and other plantings.
5. Check the soil! Trees showing one or more of the warning signs listed above may be suffering from poor soil conditions. Have an ISA Certified Arborist test the soil, evaluate the roots and if needed develop a customized treatment program to nurture the tree back to health.
About Giroud Tree and Lawn
Giroud Tree and Lawn specializes in tree service, tree removal and lawn care programs that make customers love doing business with the company since 1974. Serving Bucks, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties, the company offers professional tree and lawn evaluation, tree pruning, tree removal, insect and disease control, fertilizing, stump removal and traditional and 100% organic lawn programs to keep lawns healthy and green . Giroud Arborists are certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) and have the knowledge and experience required to properly diagnose, treat and maintain trees and lawn health. The company is Accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has been awarded the Angie's List Super Service Award® every year since 2005. The “Giroud Treework for Charity” program donates free tree care services to parks, historical sites and other non-profit organizations located in the Company’s service area. For more information, visit the company website at http://www.giroudtree.com or call 215-682-7704.