“Homeowners need to realize that taking simple steps can both reduce the amount of energy used, as well as lower monthly utility bills." - Jeremy Prevost, Greenstar CEO.
(PRWEB) January 07, 2016
Greenstar Home Services ‘Green It Up™’, is a leading provider of green and eco-friendly plumbing, heating, and air conditioning services serving the Orange County, California region. As cold winter weather sets in, the environmentally responsible organization shares new tips on how homeowners can save energy during the winter months.
“Homeowners need to realize that taking simple steps can both reduce the amount of energy used, as well as lower monthly utility bills,” notes Jeremy Prevost, Greenstar CEO.
Prevost continues, “We work hard to educate our clients on the importance of “winterizing” their homes at the start of the winter season.”
Tips to Save Energy During the Winter Months from Greenstar Home Services:
- Check the water heater: water heating costs can drive up monthly energy bills. Be sure to set the water heater to a “normal” setting- around 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lower the thermostat: lowering the heat can really save on energy costs. Stay cozy at home by putting on a sweater and warm socks instead of raising the temperature over 68 degrees Fahrenheit. If possible, install a programmable thermostat that can automatically lower the temperature at night or during the day if the home is empty.
- Replace furnace filters: Greenstar recommends changing the filter every six months. A dirty filter can constrain heat flow and increase energy use.
- Schedule a tune-up: ensure the furnace unit is operating at full capacity with a tune-up at the start of the cold season. Annual tune-ups will prolong the lifetime of the machine, and clean HVAC units use less energy.
- Caulk leaks: seal up small gaps around windows and doors with caulk. Sealing places where pipes or vents go through the wall, ceiling or floor can help save energy.
- Update appliances: if possible, consider replacing old gas appliances with an updated, energy efficient unit.
“We always recommend annual tune ups on water heaters and furnaces,” shares Colin Martodam, Greenstar COO. “System checkups can help keep warranties intact, and importantly, improve efficacy and reliability.”
To learn more on Greenstar Home Services, visit http://www.greenstarhomeservices.com
To view Greenstar’s blog, go to http://www.GreenstarHomeServices.com/blog
About Greenstar Home Services:
Greenstar Home Services provides environmentally conscious residential plumbing and HVAC service, repair and installation, as well as whole home central water filtration within the Orange County markets. Our licensed technicians are available all hours of the day, seven days a week. With an expansive knowledge of home maintenance, we provide the highest level of service for our clients—and at an honest price.