There is no cure for lupus and there has only been one treatment option approved in nearly 60 years. We ask the community to take the time this month to get to know lupus and become involved in helping us solve this cruel mystery.
Boynton Beach, FL (PRWEB) May 01, 2015
To kick-off Lupus Awareness Month, the Lupus Foundation of America, Florida Chapter is participating in the launch of a new national multi-media campaign encouraging the public to KNOW LUPUS. The KNOW LUPUS campaign will drive funds for lupus research and increase public understanding of this devastating, misunderstood autoimmune disease that affects an estimated 1.5 million Americans and 100,000 Floridians. Everyone needs to KNOW lupus to create a future with NO lupus.
Research shows that nearly two-thirds of the public knows little or nothing about lupus beyond the name. And despite the widespread prevalence of lupus, medical research has remained underfunded relative to its scope and devastation.
The KNOW LUPUS campaign features a series of television public service announcements (PSAs) that will be rolled out over the next year. They include a collection of testimonials and statements from people with lupus and celebrity advocates, including Whoopi Goldberg, Susan Lucci, and the cast of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., among others. The PSAs were created and produced by Insomnia.
The PSAs will drive people to http://www.lupus.org/know and encourage them to take the challenge and play an online, animated and interactive game that engages audiences to KNOW LUPUS and make a donation to lupus research so we have a future with NO lupus. Viget developed the KNOW LUPUS game.
Exagen Diagnostics and Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals are sponsors of the campaign.
"Lupus is one of the most misunderstood diseases there is, and research to better understand the disease and discover effective treatment, along with educational programs, are greatly underfunded especially when you consider its impact," explains Amy Yalden, President and CEO of the Lupus Foundation of America, Florida Chapter. "There is no cure for lupus and there has only been one treatment option approved in nearly 60 years. Lupus needs our attention now. We ask the community to take the time this month to get to know lupus and become involved in helping us solve this cruel mystery for the over 100,000 Floridians and 5 million people worldwide living with this disease."
Lupus Awareness Month provides people around the world the opportunity to unite and raise awareness of this misunderstood disease. Here are some ways to help others to KNOW LUPUS:
- Participate in Put On Purple Day on Friday, May 15 -- Encourage patients, friends, family, co-workers to wear purple proudly on this day and tell people why.
- Strike Out Lupus with Miami Marlins, May 20: Attend a night of lupus awareness and fun with the Miami Marlins. Tickets are on sale for the Lupus section now. A portion of ticket sales in this section will support LFAFL. Get a sneak peek of our new walk location and kids eat free too!
- Fundraise Your Way: Host a fundraiser and awareness event in your community. Visit lupus.org/florida/pages/get-involved for ideas to get started.
- Walk to End Lupus Now: Find a Lupus Foundation of America Walk in your community, and put together a team of walkers. Every step raises money for lupus research and education programs. Visit WalkToEndLupusNowFL.com to learn more. Upcoming 2015 walks are on May 2 at Palm Beach Zoo, August 29 at Miami Marlins Park and November 14 at Wickham Park in Melbourne.
- Lupus Q&A Seminar, Support Group Facilitator and Advocate Training, May 30: Join us in Orlando as we feature the authors of the bestselling book, Lupus Q&A. Dr. Lahita and Dr. Phillips will discuss the latest treatments for lupus and ways to cope with it as patients and caregivers. The chapter will also be conducting support group and ambassador training on this day. For more information or to reserve a free ticket, visit lupusfl.org.
- Light Up for Lupus: For the 3rd year, Florida will once again hold the national record for most landmarks lit purple for lupus awareness month. For a complete list or to add your landmark to the list, please visit lupusfl.org.
- Take the KNOW LUPUS Challenge: Play the KNOW LUPUS card game and test your understanding of this cruel disease and challenge others to KNOW LUPUS. Each time someone takes the KNOW LUPUS challenge, the Lupus Foundation of America National Board Chair’s family will donate $1 to lupus research up to $50,000.
For more information about the KNOW LUPUS campaign, visit the Lupus Foundation of America’s website at lupus.org/know. For more information on ways to take action in Florida, local programs and events and to join the fight, visit lupusfl.org.
Lupus is an unpredictable and misunderstood autoimmune disease that ravages different parts of the body. It is difficult to diagnose, hard to live with, and a challenge to treat. Lupus is a cruel mystery because it is hidden from view and undefined, has a range of symptoms, strikes without warning, and has no known cause and no known cure. Its health effects can range from a skin rash to a heart attack. Lupus is debilitating and destructive and can be fatal, yet research on lupus has not kept pace with research for other diseases of similar scope and devastation.
About the Lupus Foundation of America, Florida Chapter
The Lupus Foundation of America, Florida Chapter is part of the only national force devoted to solving the mystery of lupus, one of the world's cruelest, most unpredictable and devastating diseases, while giving caring support to those who suffer from its brutal impact. Through a comprehensive program of research, education, and advocacy, we lead the fight to improve the quality of life for all people affected by lupus. Learn more about the Foundation at http://www.lupusfl.org or call 1-855-90-LUPUS. For the latest news and updates, follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.