Massapequa Park, New York (PRWEB) February 20, 2014
Given all the snow our area has received this winter Lexus of Massapequa, one of the Queens Lexus dealers, thought it might be a good time to discuss some of the differences between All-Weather Drive and Four-Wheel Drive.
FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE (Lexus GX/ Lexus LX)
- Best traction in off-road conditions
- Higher ground clearance allows for more severe off-road conditions
- Proven, rugged technology
- Adds weight (affecting handling) and complexity to cars
- Reduced fuel economy
- More expensive system for vehicle purchase and repair costs
4WD is only activated when the driver engages it, through the flip of a switch or secondary lever. Once engaged, power goes from the transmission to the transfer case where it is split between the front and rear axles. These systems have a front and rear differential as well as a dedicated transfer case.
Note: In Lexus 4WD models the 4WD system is on all the time (full-time). They are constantly providing traction to all 4 wheels and do not need driver intervention in bad weather, unless using 4LO.
- In 4HI the power is split less evenly and allows for a "limited-slip" of the inside and outside wheels. This allows one wheel to turn faster than the other, thereby allowing the driver to turn the car as needed. This is not recommended at speeds of above 60 mph usually.
- In 4LO the power is split evenly between axles. This is for times when maximum torque is needed to ALL wheels. Each wheel turns at the same rate of speed. Only used at very low speeds.
ALL-WEATHER DRIVE (Lexus IS/Lexus GS/Lexus LS/Lexus RX)
These systems operate differently depending on manufacturer. In most cases AWD is on all the time, no need for driver intervention. There is a front and rear differential and a center differential (or other power-splitting device). There are sensors and a computer (ECU) that determine which wheel(s) need power at any given time.
- Works all the time, driver doesn't need to do a thing
- Increased traction at all times when compared to 2WD vehicles
- Lighter components, thereby providing better fuel economy
- Better weight distribution than 4WD provides better handling
- Less expensive to purchase and repair
- More compact components allowing for lower ground clearance
- Isn't as rugged as a 4WD system
- No extra-low gear (4LO)
- Doesn't provide the same levels of traction in severe off-roading conditions
Customers from Dix Hills, Huntington, Melville, Oyster Bay, Syosset, Mineola, Garden City and beyond are welcome to visit Lexus of Massapequa to take advantage of the specials that are available.
For more information about Lexus of Massapequa, one of the Queens Lexus dealers, visit http://www.lexusofmassapequa.com or call 888-219-5377.
Lexus of Massapequa is the source of the largest selection of Lexus new and Lexus certified pre-owned vehicles. Lexus of Massapequa offers exceptional customer service and believes in extending its outstanding treatment of customers beyond the sale into all aspects of its business. Lexus of Massapequa offers many conveniences to all Lexus drivers, including available loaners for parts and service customers. The best deals, the best service and the best financing can all be found at Lexus of Massapequa, the New York and Queens Lexus dealership with a reputation for excellence.
Lexus of Massapequa is conveniently located at Lexus of Massapequa 4950 Sunrise Highway in Massapequa Park, NY 11762.