San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) May 03, 2016
This week, Looksharp, the largest internship and entry-level job marketplace in the United States, released its annual State of Millennial Hiring Report. The report uses feedback from more than 21,000 current college students and recent graduates to show how this generation of students feels about their future employers and the internships and jobs in their future.
“The 2016 State of Millennial Hiring Report proves the critical importance of internships for landing full-time jobs and launching a career in their area of interest — and we found that internships remain highly competitive,” says Nathan Parcells, Looksharp co-founder and vice president of marketing. “Our research also shows that millennials rely heavily on online searches and social media to research and discover work opportunities."
The report shares insights about millennial hiring by industry, geographic location and business size. Key takeaways from the report include:
- Internships are a critical element in determining career success. There are strong correlations between having at least one internship and improved job prospects after graduation and finding employment in the field of study.
- But expectations after graduation may be unrealistic. There’s a $9,000 gap between college seniors’ salary expectations and actual starting salaries.
- Demand for internships is higher than supply. Among the 31.5 percent who said they had not completed an internship to date, more than 70 percent said they had searched unsuccessfully.
- More interns reported being paid for their work. The 2016 study found that 55 percent of internships were paid, up from 52.5 percent in 2015. The chances of receiving compensation vary significantly by major, industry and region.
- Startups have seen their appeal grow. While midsize companies (50-500 workers) are still the most popular, preference for internships at startups jumped from 4.9 percent in 2014 to 7.4 percent in 2015 to 9.7 percent in 2016.
For additional data, insights or explanations, contact Blake McCammon at blake(at)looksharp(dot)com.
Based on the large sample size, most findings can be broken down by:
- State or region.
- College major.
- Year in college.
- Military veteran status.
Looksharp helps launch the career of every student. Looksharp is the largest internship and entry-level job marketplace in the United States, with over 10 million students using the site annually. Customers include Facebook, Amazon, Charles Schwab, Disney, Boeing and thousands of startups, SMEs and nonprofits. Looksharp is free for students, allowing them to build rich professional profiles, apply for internships and jobs, and access leading career resources. Employers use Looksharp to improve their on-campus recruiting process, manage their candidate pipeline, showcase their employment brand and expand their hiring reach to more students and campuses.