“The ability to execute serverless compute functions with local AWS Lambda functions and manage Machine Learning at the edge is incredibly powerful. This is a logical extension of our offering and our relationship with AWS.” - Mike Bauer, MachineShop Chief Product Officer
BOSTON (PRWEB) August 08, 2019
MachineShop, the Edge Computing Company, today announced the availability of a new managed service that delivers AWS IoT Greengrass through EdgeIQ™ software platform. The offering is designed to deliver enhanced capabilities to manage connected devices and their data at scale within a distributed value chain from the edge to the cloud.
AWS IoT Greengrass seamlessly extends Amazon Web Services (AWS) computing to edge devices, so they can act locally on the data they generate, while still using the cloud for management, analytics, and durable storage. With AWS IoT Greengrass, connected devices can run AWS Lambda functions, execute predictions based on machine learning models, keep device data in sync, and communicate with other devices securely – even when not connected to the Internet. AWS IoT Greengrass lets connected devices operate even with intermittent connectivity to the cloud. Once the device reconnects, AWS IoT Greengrass synchronizes the data on the device with AWS IoT Core, providing seamless functionality regardless of connectivity.
MachineShop EdgeIQ is a software platform that dramatically simplifies the Connected Product Value Chain and includes cradle to grave device management of operational devices while providing one-touch Service and Data Orchestration. EdgeIQ is a distributed, API-first software platform that not only provides APIs at the edge and cloud, but also a highly configurable web application. This allows organizations to deploy and manage their connected products with little or no programming.
The goal in creating this managed service with software from AWS and MachineShop is to allow customers to reach production deployment levels faster and realize the value of these technologies at a lower cost. Enhanced capabilities and usability features include:
- Simplified Service Integration - Customers bring their own accounts and enter their credentials to automatically configure AWS IoT Core and AWS IoT Greengrass; there is no need to pre-configure any service in advance,
- Zero-Touch Deployment – Once connected to the appropriate network, EdgeIQ-enabled devices will receive all their necessary configurations, software updates and AWS IoT Greengrass and AWS IoT Core credentials,
- Group Management - Manage multiple device groups and accounts through a simple user interface or API calls,
- Service Update - Selectively upgrade the version of AWS IoT Greengrass by device or group.
The new EdgeIQ managed service also provides additional value through High Availability and Management features including:
- Service Monitoring – EdgeIQ continuously monitors AWS IoT Greengrass and other services at the edge to ensure optimal performance,
- Automated Alerting and Notifications – Based on user-specified policies, alerts and notifications are created when any service stops reporting on specified intervals,
- Automatic Restart - When EdgeIQ determines that an edge component or device needs to be restarted or rebooted, it can be done in a fully automated way,
- Local Failover - Local, managed redundancy provides alternative to restart or re-initialization.
Delivery and management of AWS IoT Greengrass with EdgeIQ is done through MachineShop’s Service Orchestration capabilities. Service Orchestration makes it easy for customers to leverage a pre-integrated cloud on our edge service by simply selecting the service from a menu in EdgeIQ and entering a customer’s own account credentials. EdgeIQ handles the cross-account authentication, credential management, and more. Device resources are automatically set up in AWS IoT Core and data associated with devices is associated with the appropriate AWS IoT Greengrass groups. The EdgeIQ Service Orchestration then handles the active monitoring of any service deployed at the edge and can take actions based on policies that customers create and manage. Customers can also update the version of AWS IoT Greengrass at the edge along with OS updates, firmware, or any other edge service or configuration.
“We see strong demand for AWS IoT Greengrass in the market and made the decision to create a managed service that combines AWS IoT Greengrass with our own EdgeIQ platform,” said MachineShop Chief Product Officer, Mike Bauer. “The ability to execute serverless compute functions with local AWS Lambda functions and manage Machine Learning at the edge is incredibly powerful. This is a logical extension of our offering and our relationship with AWS.”
To learn more about EdgeIQ and the expanded offering with AWS IoT Greengrass, contact MachineShop at engage(at)machineshop(dot)io or visit https://www.machineshop.io/awsgreengrass.