Las Vegas, NV (PRWEB) December 10, 2013
The holiday season is notorious for its high-calorie feasts and snack-laden parties. The onslaught causes most Americans to put on at least a couple of pounds this time of year. But weight gain doesn't have to be inevitable, and a critical weapon in the fight against holiday poundage is the meal most often skipped when trying to avoid weight gain - breakfast.
For those making New Years' resolutions to eat better or lose weight, healthy but tasty breakfasts can help them stick to their resolution and help them achieve their weight-loss goals as well.
The following list of breakfast tips comes from MixMyOwn.com and demonstrates how breakfasts featuring whole-grain cereals, such as muesli and granola, help combat weight gain. To make healthy, whole-grain breakfasts more fun and flavorful, MixMyOwn.com offers breakfast eaters the opportunity to create their own combinations of muesli, granola or multi-grain flakes with a variety of dried fruits, nuts, seeds and other ingredients to choose from. Available ingredients include many organic and non-GMO options to make breakfast even healthier.
7 Tips for Healthy Breakfasts that Combat Weight Gain During Holidays and Throughout the Year:
1) Don't skip breakfast - skipping breakfast leads to snacking and overeating the rest of the day - muesli, granola or multi-grain flakes cereal is quick, easy, low in calories and helps prevent snacking and overeating later in the day.
2) Eat low-calorie and enjoyable breakfast foods - looking forward to breakfast makes it less likely to be a meal that gets skipped - with over 100 ingredients and a variety of options, custom-mixed cereals from MixMyOwn.com give customers a variety of combinations with their favorite flavors.
3) Avoid foods high in cholesterol and fat like fatty breakfast meats and fried eggs - whole-grain foods like muesli, granola or multi-grain flakes have little fat and almost no unhealthy cholesterol.
4) Eat foods high in fiber - fiber prevents some fats from being absorbed by the body and reduces risk for heart disease. MixMyOwn.com's custom cereals have up to 4 grams of fiber per serving.
5) Include protein - protein builds muscle and staves off hunger - muesli, granola or multi-grain flakes with nuts and whole grains can add significant protein without adding excess saturated fat; MixMyOwn.com's Tutty Nutty premix contains 3.9 grams of protein per serving.
6) For fast, portable breakfast make your own smoothie - homemade smoothies can be drunk while commuting to work and can contain fresh ingredients with less sugar and fat - muesli is a great smoothie ingredient as in this Banana Muesli Smoothie recipe from the New York Times.
7) Include superfoods - superfoods boost the immune system, aid with weight loss and lower risk of heart disease, diabetes and cancer - favorite superfoods include nuts, seeds, berries, oats, and soy, all of which can be included in any custom cereal mix at MixMyOwn.com.
Muesli, granola and multi-grain flakes also make a great snack that is healthy and low in calories. It can be eaten by the handful or used in recipes like MixMyOwn.com's Muesli Bar recipe. Muesli or granola can also be used in many desert recipes to lower calories and boost nutrition, including smoothies, frozen deserts and parfaits, for which recipes can be found in the recipe section of the MixMyOwn.com website. Gift cards are also available at MixMyOwn.com, making it easy to give healthy custom-mixed cereal as gifts for holidays, birthdays or any occasion.
Based in Las Vegas, Nevada, MixMyOwn.com is dedicated to promoting a wholesome lifestyle for customers by providing a way for customers to choose their own whole-grain and multi-grain cereal ingredients and have it delivered fresh to their doorstep. The MixMyOwn.com website offers nearly 100 responsibly chosen ingredients - including many 100% natural, unprocessed, organic and non-GMO, preservative-free and sugar-free options. Ingredients include 31 types of dried fruits, 20 types of nuts and seeds, and eight whole-grain bases. Or customers can choose from one of eight pre-mixed breakfast cereals. MixMyOwn was created by entrepreneur couple Klara Charvatova and David Filipi. MixMyOwn uses U.S.-based suppliers and ships orders to all U.S. states for a flat rate with 2-3 business days transit time.