“There is nothing in the world exactly like Lake Mohonk. It is famous, yet it has the kind of fame that people and places had before newspapers were known.” —The New York Times in 1882.
New Paltz, New York (PRWEB) June 30, 2014
One of the great 19th century mountain resorts in America, the historic Mohonk Mountain House has been a unique destination for generations, since its founding in 1869. Located 90 miles north of New York City, this majestic Victorian castle resort has been providing recreation and renewal of body, mind, and spirit in a beautiful natural setting for 145 years.
Remarkably, the resort is still owned and operated by the Smiley family. It is now in its 4th and 5th generation of family leadership— an achievement attained by only 3% of family-owned businesses. Today, this National Historic Landmark resort stretches nearly an eighth of a mile and is enhanced by an award-winning Spa, exciting outdoor recreation activities, and more than 40 popular theme weekends.
To celebrate the resort’s 145th Anniversary, guests are invited to enjoy exciting activities throughout the year including Anniversary-inspired travel packages, a new Signature Spa Treatment, dinner menu items reminiscent of 1869, and more.
Highlights throughout 2014 include:
- New! Value-filled Overnight Package: Guests can experience the 145th Anniversary Getaway Package featuring an inclusive rate with savings of up to 20%. The special-value package is available Sunday -Thursday, throughout the year. Rates, including charming accommodations, three delicious meals, Afternoon Tea and Cookies, and most resort activities, start at $240 per person, per night based on double occupancy (taxes and gratuity additional). Guests will also enjoy a 145th Anniversary welcome gift and discounts on logo items at the Mohonk Gift Shops. For reservations, please call 855.274.4020 or visit http://www.mohonk.com.
- New! Award-winning Spa Offers “Timeless Traditions” Massage: Incorporating the healing properties of birch oil with four timeless and traditional massage strokes — as well as the deep stretching used in the late 1800s by health practitioners — this treatment will increase circulation and leave you in a state of total bliss. A birch oil blend used throughout the massage supports the immune system and soothing heat provides relief to muscles, all culminating in one of our most deeply relaxing massages. This treatment joins the best of the Old World with modern techniques, making it an unforgettable experience that honors and celebrates the history of massage.
- 1869-Inspired Dining: Executive Chef Jim Palmeri takes guests for a culinary tour back in time with a selection of history-inspired dishes such as Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breast with Marble Potato, Cipollini Onions, and Asparagus or Braised Short Rib with Warm Tri-Color Potato and Prosciutto Salad. In celebration of the anniversary, the Toast to Tradition, a pomegranate champagne cocktail, will be featured.
- Dress Like a Victorian: Throughout the year, guests will be able to play dress up in Victorian costumes and even take a “selfie” with founder Albert Smiley.
- House History Tours: Discover the story of Mohonk Mountain House during the resort’s House tours, which include an exclusive glimpse of the private Smiley Family Victorian Parlor, recently featured in the Wall Street Journal.
- Continuing the Tradition of “Body, Mind, and Spirit”: Mohonk Mountain House has always been a place where guests come to refresh and renew—today we often refer to it as “unplugging.” Director of Mindfulness Programs at Mohonk Mountain House, Nina Smiley, Ph.D. is co-author of the popular book and CD The Three Minute Meditator and leads workshops and private sessions where guests learn simple techniques that bring the benefits of mindfulness into their lives — right now. Smiley’s highly individual sessions help guests to create a personal plan, as they focus on ways to reduce stress and support optimal wellness. More is available at MindfulnessAtMohonk.com
About Mohonk Mountain House
Mohonk Mountain House is a National Historic Landmark resort and Historic Hotel of America located in New York’s Hudson Valley, just 90 miles north of New York City. Owned and operated by the Smiley Family since its founding in 1869, the resort has provided guests with recreation and renewal of body, mind, and spirit in a beautiful natural setting for 145 years. The Victorian Castle resort is honored on the 2014 Condé Nast Traveler Gold List, along with being named the Number One Resort Spa in the United States in Condé Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice Awards, the Number Six Spa in the world by Travel + Leisure, and one of Travel + Leisure’s “World’s Best Hotels for Families.” The 30,000-square-foot Spa wing at Mohonk Mountain House, recognized as “One of the Top Three Hotel Spas” in Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Awards, has 16 treatment rooms, a solarium, an outdoor heated mineral pool, an indoor heated pool, comprehensive fitness center, and yoga/motion studio. The award-winning eco-friendly Spa is heated and cooled by a geo-thermal system and features a “green roof.” A wealth of year-round recreation includes a spectacular Skating Pavilion, rock climbing, and 85 miles of trails for seasonal hiking, mountain biking, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing. The grounds feature exquisite gardens, a nine-hole golf course, tennis courts, and stables for horseback riding and horse-drawn carriage rides. The glacial-formed Lake Mohonk is ideal for boating, fishing, and swimming. The Mohonk Kids’ Club is lauded by Travel + Leisure as one of the Best Hotel Kids’ Programs nationally and has been recognized by USA Today magazine as one of the Ten Best Family Resorts. Mohonk Mountain House’s longtime stewardship efforts include composting, recycling, and nature interpretation programs. Over 40 theme programs are presented annually, including culinary classes, gardening workshops, music festivals, and nature programs. Overnight rates at Mohonk Mountain House include charming accommodations, breakfast, lunch, dinner, Afternoon Tea and Cookies, and most resort activities. For additional information, please call 855.274.4020 or visit http://www.mohonk.com . Become a Facebook fan at http://www.facebook.com/mohonk .
Media Contact: Darlene Fiske, email@example.com, 512-331-7755