Symmetry Software Celebrates National Payroll Week by Offering Advice to Workers to Maximize Paychecks
Symmetry Software, specialists in payroll withholding tax solutions for the internet and corporate intranets, is celebrating the contributions of American workers and payroll professionals during National Payroll Week, which runs annually the week of Labor Day. As Americans gather this Labor Day to pay tribute to the contribution workers make to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of the country, Symmetry Software is offering advice to help workers make the most of their paychecks.
Scottsdale, AZ (PRWEB) August 27, 2013
For the 156 million wage earners in the U.S., utilizing the facts and figures listed on a paystub can prove to be one of the most important personal finance tools. Sam Kerch, Director of Finance for Symmetry Software, says that American workers contribute through the payroll withholding system about $1.78 trillion or 70.5 percent of the annual revenue of the U.S. Treasury. "Everyday, thousands of payroll professionals ensure that those trillions of dollars are filtered through the payroll withholding system accurately." Kerch explains. However, many workers do not realize that their paychecks can be tailored to suit their unique situation and financial needs. Furthermore, Symmetry urges workers to regularly monitor their paychecks and adjust them when life changes occur. Here are a few simple tips to keep in mind in order to make the most out of one’s paycheck:
- Monitor taxes: According to the Tax Foundation, Americans are working 108 days in 2013 just to pay taxes. Workers should check the tax deductions on their paychecks to ensure the proper amount is being withheld each payday. This will help to avoid a large tax bill at the end of the year. While a large tax refund seems like a bonus, workers here are missing out on the interest that their money could earn throughout the year or on putting that money to a different use.
- 401(k): The 401(k) plan turns 32 years old this year. In 2012, Americans had $3.5 trillion in assets invested in 401(k) plans representing 18% of the total U.S. retirement market. Take advantage of employer matching and saving for retirement tax-free. To ease worries about current take-home pay, visit PaycheckCity’s 401(k) calculator to see the impact on take-home pay after enrolling in a 401(k) in addition to various estimations for future retirement savings.
- HSAs: A Health Savings Account (HSA) can fill gaps in your regular health insurance plan. HSAs allow many employees to deduct pre-tax dollars from their paychecks to pay for health-related expenses not covered by insurance. Plans vary according to insurance deductibles and what options employers offer, but HSAs can be a great way to save up for big expenses like a child’s braces or new pairs of glasses. HSAs do not follow the "use-it-or-lose-it" restriction like flexible spending accounts do because money stays in an interest-bearing savings account until used for qualified medical expenses.
Other ways to maximize a paycheck include taking advantage of a "cafeteria" benefit plan whereby pretax dollars are allocated to medical and dental insurance, child care expenses, or group life insurance. The impact is savings on necessary expenses through reduced income taxes. As always, when workers experience a life-changing event such as a marriage or birth of a child, workers should update their withholding on their Form W4
To learn more about maximizing paychecks, visit PaycheckCity.com.
To learn more about National Payroll Week, visit NationalPayrollWeek.com.
About Symmetry Software
Founded in 1984, Symmetry Software specializes in payroll and payroll-related withholding tax software applications for the Internet and corporate intranets. Based in Scottsdale, Arizona, Symmetry runs four payroll-related websites:
- PaycheckCity.com: Offers employees self-service tools for paycheck management including free personal finance calculators. Individuals can model "what-if" scenarios using wages and other paycheck figures to determine the impact on take-home pay.
- StateW4.com: Online form-preparation process for federal, state, and local withholding forms.
- Payroll-Taxes.com: A payroll research library for industry professionals, including free paycheck calculators and a paycheck community message board.
- Payroll-Point.com: The latest mapping technologies deliver appropriate tax withholding settings based on the home and work addresses of an employee.