The relationship between a Mother and her Child has been the subject-matter of the great artists in art history. We love sharing with the world our passion for art. This is part of our duty to the art world which we love being apart of.
Wichita, Kansas (PRWEB) May 04, 2015
overstockArt.com, the popular online art gallery of hand painted wall art, published today its annual Top 10 list of most desired oil paintings for Mother’s Day. The list consists of the most sought after artworks cherished by moms around the world.
Based on detailed analysis from inbound traffic to the popular site, these paintings represent consumers’ favorite picks as they shop for that special woman in their life... their mom.
Topping the chart for the first time is Gustav Klimt’s famous “Mother and Child.” Other artists named on the 2015 Top 10 Mother’s Day Oil Paintings list include Claude Monet, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Mary Cassat, Lord Frederic Leighton, Berthe Morisot, Henry Potthast and Edouard Manet.
overstockArt.com has analyzed the online gallery statistics from over 2 million visitors coming to its store to shop for mom, and finds the following top ten oil paintings to be the most desired and sought-after works for Mom in 2015:
1. Le tre eta della donna (Mother and Child), Gustav Klimt. Influenced by the avant-garde movement of his time, Klimt’s sensitive portray of a mother and child is tender, yet rich with design and imagery. The gentle scene depicts a young child drifting off to sleep on his mother’s shoulder. Sweet, serene and symbolic, this masterful work represents the deep love that only a mother and child can share.
2. Madame Monet and Her Son, Claude Monet. Originally painted in 1875, Monet captures the gentle breeze and lux light in his Impressionist style brushstrokes. Unlike the traditional portraiture of the time, Monet turned his back on convention and created figures in much the same style as his landscapes. Featuring portraits of the artist’s wife and son, this work is a bright, sunny Mother’s Day treat.
3. Mother and Child, Lord Frederic Leighton. The 1865 painting features a loving mother-daughter scene. With a love of classical and biblical themes, Leighton’s art features a realistic style that is opulent and tender at the same time. This Victorian scene features a motherly moment that's intimate, naturally beautiful and striking with its sensitivity.
4. The Railway, Edouard Manet. The Railway features an everyday street scene of a mother and daughter. Manet favored social activities, portraits and imagery that was reflective of daily life and what he saw in urban Paris. This 1873 work is set in realism, with imagery that plays to the mother’s role in society.
5. Water Lilies, Claude Monet. Part of a series, Monet’s Water Lilies is one of the most beloved and well-known works of art history. The light, the brushstrokes and the illuminating use of color that hallmarks the Impressionist style are all on display in this outdoor scene. Painted at his gardens in Giverny, Water Lilies may not feature mom, but it’s certainly something that she’ll adore and cherish.
6. At the Beach, Edward Henry Potthast. One of the first Impressionist painters, Potthast regularly depicted carefree, outdoor moments in his imagery. The choppy brushstrokes and waves of color dot and draw their way across this beach scene of a warm mother-child moment.
7. The Monet Family in the Garden, Edouard Manet. During the summer of 1874 Manet and Monet vacationed at neighboring towns. Spending time together, building their friendship and working on their art, the two painters used each other as subject matter. This work features Monet and his family, with his wife and son spending a lazy summer afternoon under the shade of a garden tree.
8. The Umbrellas, Pierre Auguste Renoir. The hectic street scene that the Impressionist painter depicts features children by the side of their subtly smiling mother. The chaos of the scene is set apart from the seemingly serene main characters.
9. Woman and Child On a Balcony, Berthe Morisot. As a well-known female Impressionist, Morisot exhibited her woks alongside other famed painters of the time such as Monet and Degas. In this work, the artist shows a sweet scene between a mother and her young daughter. Leaning out over the balcony ledge, the woman looks on as her child looks out over the light-swept view.
10. Children Playing on the Beach, Mary Cassatt. This 1884 Impressionist work may not feature a mom herself, but it celebrates Mother’s Day with its darling depiction of children at play. The light dances off the subjects, placing the two young children at the forefront of the Oceanside image.
“We love sharing our unique insights with the art world.” said David Sasson, CEO of overstockArt.com, “The relationship between a Mother and her Child has been the subject-matter of the greatest artists in modern history. We love sharing with the world our passion for art. This is part of our duty to the art world which we love being apart of.”
For more Mother's favorite works of art visit the new Mother's Day Art Gallery at http://www.overstockart.com/mothersday.html.
Founded in 2002, overstockArt.com is one the web’s leading distributors of high-quality wall art. With more than 100,000 wall décor combinations to choose from in stock at all times, the online retailer has one goal: to make it easy and affordable for people to transform their space with hand painted art. Recognized as a premiere shopping destination for hand painted fine art reproductions, overstockArt.com has expanded its offerings to include hand painted and high-quality original canvas art prints. The company also owns and operates Artist Become (ArtistBe.com), the online community for contemporary artists around the world. overstockArt.com provides a plethora of other services such as Custom Art Services, Custom Framing, and Star in a Masterpiece Service. In addition, overstockArt.com offer Free Decor Assistance and Free Commercial Decorating Services.
Headquartered in Wichita, Kan., the retailer was named to Inc. Magazine’s 2010, 2011 and 2012 Inc. 5000 lists, Internet Retailer magazine’s 2012,2014 Hot 100 list and 2011, 2012,2013 and 2014 Second 500 Guides, and was recognized with the STELLAService Seal for Elite customer service. For more information, visit http://www.overstockArt.com.