Certain vulnerabilities in Windows XP were publicized but not fixed. Hackers are now aware of these vulnerabilities and will certainly exploit them. The risk to running Windows XP just went way up.
Bellevue, WA (PRWEB) May 28, 2014
Laplink Software, Inc. announced today the best tool for Windows XP users to avoid becoming a victim of recently disclosed vulnerabilities is still available for free: PCmover Express for Windows XP.
As of April 8, Microsoft® ended support for Windows XP, bringing an end to technical assistance, security updates, and hot-fixes. Earlier this month, Microsoft released a series of patches for vulnerabilities affecting Windows, but did not patch known security holes in Windows XP.
“The last Patch Tuesday left millions of Windows XP users open to attacks,” stated Thomas Koll, CEO of Laplink Software. “Certain vulnerabilities in Windows XP were publicized but not fixed. Hackers are now aware of these vulnerabilities and will certainly exploit them. The risk to running Windows XP just went way up.”
Microsoft issued eight bulletins on May 13th, fixing 13 vulnerabilities in Windows, Microsoft Office, and Internet Explorer. None of these bulletins patched Windows XP, despite the fact that most of the code vulnerabilities exist in Windows XP. Security experts have expressed concerns that hackers will study these patches (or rather “non-patches) and devise new attacks on Windows XP users.
Some security experts are warning that banks and online retailers may soon prohibit financial transactions made from a Windows XP computer.
“The risk is increasing and will reach a point where it is simply too great,” continued Koll. “The only solution is to move to a newer and safer operating system. Many XP users haven’t done this yet because they don’t want to say ‘goodbye’ to years of data, as well as their PC’s ‘personality.’ Our tool, PCmover, is the easiest and fastest way to move to a new PC, regardless of the operating system on the old PC or on the new PC.”
PCmover® is the market leader and the only software that automatically moves all selected programs, files, and settings from an old PC to a new one, or from an old operating system to a new one. A simple step-by-step wizard guides the user through a seamless, customizable migration experience, making it perfect for any age or level of technical skill. There is no need to transfer data to external storage, find old serial numbers or installation disks, or reinstall applications. PCmover does it all automatically! Just start the transfer, and walk away.
PCmover also comes with Free Transfer Assistance available 24/7. Users call the toll-free number, and one of Laplink’s certified PC migration experts will guide the user through the entire migration process at no additional cost.
PCmover comes in several editions for any need, including:
- PCmover Express for Windows XP: Microsoft’s recommended solution for moving files and settings from Windows XP to Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. Available at no cost at http://www.WindowsXP.com.
- PCmover Professional: Laplink’s most popular version of PCmover that performs migrations to a new PC, in-place upgrades, restores an old image to the new operating system, and rescues hard drive contents from a non-working PC.
- Windows Upgrade Assistant: The only way to perform a complete in-place upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8. Users should ensure their PC is compatible with newer versions of Windows before performing an in-place upgrade.
- Image & Drive Assistant: The only way to restore an old image or hard drive to a new PC.
- PCmover Enterprise: The only migration tool that allows IT professionals to manage migrations, even for unmanaged PCs.
PCmover can be purchased at http://www.laplink.com, Microsoft.com, Amazon®, Best Buy®, Fry's™, Micro Center®, Office Depot®, Office Max®, Staples®, and other major software retailers and PC manufacturers in North America, Europe, and Japan.
About Laplink Software, Inc.
For over 30 years, Laplink has been the leader in providing software used for PC migration, remote access, file transfer, and synchronization. The privately-held company was founded in 1983 and is headquartered in Bellevue, Washington.