Greenville, SC (PRWEB) January 20, 2014
With an unusually cold winter so far, GS Plumbing wants to provide some tips for preventing frozen pipes. According to an article on heraldonline.com from Jan. 6, temperatures were expected to hit single digits. Greenville hasn’t hit single digit temperatures since 1996. This kind of weather is especially dangerous for pipes.
GS Plumbing advises to:
1) Insulate pipes from the cold, moving air and keep dry - remember to insulate or heat drain lines in crawl spaces and basements.
2) Use heated tape or a lamp to keep pipes warm on really cold nights.
3) If electric isn't available, keep water running at a slow constant drip - this costs less than a repair of a broken pipe.
4) If a pipe is frozen, check for splits on plastic and copper pipes and call a plumber if a split is detected. All metal pipes can be thawed slowly using a hair dryer.
5) Always disconnect hoses from outdoor spigots to keep water from freezing inside hose and going up into the spigot.
An added convenience in cold weather is a comfort recirculation pump system that continually re-circulates the cold water through pipes and heats it so there is instant hot water at all sink and tub/shower faucets.
For help with frozen pipes and repairs, call GS Plumbing today, 864-268-7394.
About the company:
GS Plumbing has over 35 years of experience in all aspects of the plumbing field. They are accredited with the BBB, a member of the Greenville Chamber of Commerce, licensed and insured and offer 24-hour emergency service. GS Plumbing has been awarded the prestigious 2011 and 2012 Angie’s List Super Service Award, an honor bestowed annually on approximately 5 percent of all the businesses rated on the nation’s leading provider of consumer reviews of local service companies. GS Plumbing offers plumbing services beyond fixing clogged drains. They are also equipped for bathroom remodeling and kitchen remodeling, water filter installation and can service tank-less water heaters. For more information, please visit their website at http://www.gsplumbing.net.