St. Louis, Missouri (PRWEB) September 11, 2013
The Onder Law, attorneys representing clients nationwide in medical device, pharmaceutical and other products liability cases resulting in severe injury or death, have compiled a list of tips for the families of those who suffered severe internal bleeding after using Pradaxa. Pradaxa, an anticoagulant manufactured by Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., is currently the subject of a number of lawsuits (Pradaxa Products Liability Litigation MDL No. 2385, United States District Court, Southern District of Illinois). These Pradaxa internal bleeding lawsuits allege that the maker of Pradaxa did not adequately inform users of the danger of severe, sometimes fatal, internal bleeding after using Pradaxa.
Pradaxa was approved by the FDA in October 2010 for preventing stroke in people with atrial fibrillation, often referred to as AFib. Pradaxa was the first anticoagulant approved since warfarin was approved in the early 1950s and early advertising marketed Pradaxa as a safer alternative, but reports of severe internal bleeding soon came to light, resulting in a December 2011 FDA Safety Communication warning users that "serious or even fatal" internal bleeding were more common than previously indicated (forbes.com/sites/larryhusten/2011/12/07/fda-undertakes-safety-review-of-dabigatran-pradaxa/).
Pradaxa internal bleeding lawsuits have been consolidated into a Multi-District Litigation (MDL) in federal court in Southern Illinois. The Onder Law Firm is not only representing clients in this lawsuit, but Mark Niemeyer, a partner in the firm, is serving as Co-Lead Counsel in the Pradaxa lawsuit. The attorneys handling Pradaxa cases are providing the following tips to those, or the families of those, who feel they may have a claim against the manufacturer.
1. Most Pradaxa internal bleeding claims involve gastrointestinal bleeding or hemorrhagic stroke, but medical records should be carefully reviewed and consultation with a Pradaxa attorney should occur before deciding not to pursue a Pradaxa claim if a different health problem occurred.
2. Multi-District Litigation (MDL), such as the Pradaxa lawsuit, is not a class action lawsuit, where small settlements of roughly the same amount are often paid to the plaintiffs. In the Pradaxa Multi-District Litigation, should the plaintiffs prevail, each will receive an amount in accordance with that individual's circumstances.
3. Don't wait before speaking with an attorney. Time limits apply. The date which the internal bleeding event occurred, as well as the date at which the Pradaxa lawsuit is filed, will be a factor in determining when a settlement may take place. Waiting before contacting a Pradaxa attorney can only diminish the chance of an early settlement, and possibly even result in ineligibility in joining the Pradaxa lawsuit.
4. Gather as many medical records relating to the Pradaxa internal bleeding event as possible before contacting an attorney, but don't let a lack of medical records delay an attorney consultation. By having medical records available or being aware of as many of the specifics regarding the dosage and duration of Pradaxa used, the Pradaxa attorney consultation will be more productive and the attorney will be able to provide more definitive answers.
5. Consider the choice of an attorney carefully. All law firms handling Pradaxa internal bleeding lawsuits will provide a free consultation and handle the case on a contingency basis, meaning there will be no out of pocket expenses for the client. But the way the cases are handled, resources of the law firm, experience the attorneys have taking on multi-billion dollar corporate giants and the percentage the firm takes as its fee, as well as the time it takes to settle a claim, will all differ. Many law firms refer complex medical and pharmaceutical cases to other law firm than handle those cases themselves.
The information above is not formal legal advice. Always seek the counsel of a qualified attorney before making a decision in any legal matter.
The Onder Law Firm is currently investigating claims of injury and death by patients after they or family used Pradaxa. Those affected may receive a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with an actual attorney by visiting the firm's Pradaxa Lawsuit Center website, PradaxaLawsuitCenter.com. Although the firm is centrally located in St. Louis, Missouri, it represents clients throughout the United States. St. Louis is also the closest metropolitan area to the court handling the Pradaxa Products Liability Litigation. The Onder Law Firm welcomes Pradaxa lawsuit inquiries from law firms in regards to handling them or working as co-counsel.
About The Onder Law Firm
Onder, Shelton, O’Leary & Peterson, LLC is a St. Louis based personal injury law firm handling serious injury and death claims across the country. Its mission is the pursuit of justice, no matter how complex the case or strenuous the effort. Onder, Shelton, O’Leary & Peterson has represented clients throughout the United States, and other firms throughout the nation often seek its experience and expertise on complex litigation. It is a recognized leader in products liability cases such as window blind cord strangulation and pharmaceutical litigation. The Onder Law Firm offers information pertaining to Pradaxa internal bleeding dangers at http://www.pradaxalawsuitcenter.com.