It's natural to feel embarrassed after slipping and falling in a public place. But it's essential to remember that you have rights, and that someone else may be partially or completely responsible for your slip-and-fall accident.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (PRWEB) May 27, 2014
Ginnis & Krathen, P.A., a Fort Lauderdale personal injury firm that provides legal representation for clients in Broward County, Dade County, and the rest of South Florida, is giving advice on how to prevent slip-and-fall accidents during the spring and summer seasons.
"Many people up north might associate slip-and-fall accidents with winter, given the amount of snow and ice that is present during that time," says Eric Ginnis, co-founder of Ginnis & Krathen. "But here in Florida, springtime rains can contribute greatly to these types of mishaps."
Americans may not be aware that the number one cause of accidental injury in the U.S. is from a slip-and-fall accident. Over a million people across the country visit the emergency room each year because of injuries suffered from falls.
This spring, there are some measures that you can take to minimize the chances of a slip-and-fall accident occurring on your property. These include:
- Removing clutter from walkways, aisles, and other high-traffic areas
- Repairing any areas where carpet or rugs are frayed, torn, or loose
- Addressing (or blocking off) cracks in pavements, tree roots under or in concrete, or cords spanning floor spaces
- Keeping all filing cabinet, dresser, and display cabinet drawers closed when not in use
- Ensuring that all interior areas are properly illuminated with interior lighting
- Installing handrails near and/or non-slip surfaces on steps and stairs
- Laying down floor mats near entryways and in other locations where moisture is likely to accumulate
- Having a procedure in place to address spills and similar mishaps
- Cleaning up all spilled liquids and other materials as quickly as possible
- Blocking off areas where spills are present with signs and/or furniture
Despite everyone's best efforts, it's quite possible that you could slip and fall on someone else's property. If this happens to you, here are some suggestions:
- Don't immediately say, "It's my fault." This admission could come back to haunt you if you have to seek damages at a later time.
- Report the accident to a store manager, landlord, or similar authority figure before you leave. This ensures that the property owner or its representatives were made aware that a slip-and-fall accident occurred.
- If you are able, take photos of the place where you slipped and fell, and get the names of anyone who saw you fall. Take as many notes as you can about the details surrounding the incident.
- Seek medical attention as soon as you can. If your injuries are severe, have someone dial 911 and allow an ambulance to take you to a hospital.
- Never sign a waiver or agreement offered by the property owner or an insurance company. You need to have a complete picture of your injuries before you should even think about a settlement.
"It's natural to feel embarrassed after slipping and falling in a public place," says Eric Ginnis. "But it's essential to remember that you have rights, and that someone else may be partially or completely responsible for your slip-and-fall accident."
It may also become necessary for you to engage the services of a qualified personal injury attorney. Ginnis & Krathen has numerous years of experience in assisting slip-and-fall accident victims in South Florida. The firm’s lawyers are well versed in determining compensation amounts, dealing with insurance companies, and litigating personal injury lawsuits in court when needed. If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident at a South Florida business, government office, or private residence, you should contact Ginnis & Krathen for a free, in-person consultation. You can speak to an attorney by calling 954-905-4600, or by submitting a request on the firm’s website.
About Ginnis & Krathen, P.A.
Ginnis & Krathen, P.A. is a personal injury firm that assists clients in Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Broward County, Miami-Dade County, and throughout South Florida. Their highly qualified attorneys are well skilled in all areas of personal injury and negligence, including slip-and-fall accidents, auto accidents, motorcycle accidents, hit-and-run accidents, drunk driving accidents, and wrongful death lawsuits. Ginnis & Krathen prides itself on providing personal attention, straightforward answers to questions, and superior legal representation in your individual case. The firm is dedicated to serving its clients with honor, honesty, and integrity.