Many Americans are now taking advantage of Black Friday savings from the comfort of their own homes as opposed to battling the crowds the day after Thanksgiving, which also means they can enjoy some turkey at home with the family.
Santa Monica, CA (PRWEB) November 06, 2013
If you plan to skip Thanksgiving dinner this year in order to get to Black Friday sales, you may not be alone. According to a survey released today by PromotionalCodes.com, conducted online by Harris Interactive among over 2,000 U.S. adults in October, 32 million Americans who have ever shopped Black Friday prove to be intense sale-seekers. These shoppers have reported skipping Thanksgiving dinner, rushing through it or starting early, or not traveling to a relative’s house in order to participate in Black Friday sales.
The survey further indicates that one-quarter (26%) of Americans never miss or usually hit at least one store on Black Friday. Likewise, one-quarter (25%) never miss or usually shop at least one online store on Black Friday. Shopping online is clearly catching on as just two in five Americans (39%) say they have never shopped online on a Black Friday.
"Black Friday shopping has become a huge part of American culture during the Thanksgiving holiday and with more consumers shopping online, retailers have adapted to reflect great savings on their websites as well," said PromotionalCodes.com consumer savings expert Regina Novickis. "Many Americans are now taking advantage of Black Friday savings from the comfort of their own homes as opposed to battling the crowds the day after Thanksgiving, which also means they can enjoy some turkey at home with the family."
According to the National Retail Federation, more than half (51%) of consumers say the economy will in some way impact how they spend this holiday and the average holiday shopper will spend $737.95 on gifts, décor, greeting cards and more, two percent less than they actually spent last year. This desire to save might drive some to look for Black Friday deals, whether online or in stores, in order to shop for everyone on their holiday lists.
Other key findings include:
Laptops and Leftovers – Who are Most Likely to Shop Black Friday Online?
- One-quarter of Americans say they either never miss a Black Friday online (8%) or usually hit at least one website (18%) and an additional 11% of Americans say they shop online on Black Friday about half the time.
- One-quarter of those with household incomes of $75,000 or more (25%) as well as 23% of those with at least a college degree say they usually hit at least one website on Black Friday.
- 17% of men, aged 18-34 say they never miss a Black Friday online and 27% of men aged 35-44 say they usually hit at least one website the Friday after Thanksgiving.
Parking Lot Renegades
- Almost two in five Americans (37%) shop Black Friday sales at least half of the time and just three in ten Americans (29%) say they have never shopped in a store on Black Friday.
- Over one-third of those 18-34 (35%) never miss or usually hit on store on Black Friday compared to 16% of those 55 and older.
- Women are also slightly more likely than men to say they shop in a store on Black Friday at least half the time (39% vs. 34%).
- Those with a child in the household are also more likely than those without a child in the household to never miss or usually hit at least one store on Black Friday (39% vs. 20%).
This survey was conducted online within the United States between October 16 and 18, 2013 among 2,014 adults (of whom 1,599 have ever shopped on Black Friday) aged 18 and older by Harris Interactive on behalf of PromotionalCodes.com via its Quick Query omnibus product. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact Candice Cerro: Candice.Cerro(at)surfmyads(dot)com.
PromotionalCodes.com is a coupon savings website that provides thousands of free online coupons and promotional codes from top brand names like Macy’s, Target, Home Depot, Travelocity, Dell and many more. The site is developed by Santa Monica-based SurfMyAds.com, Inc., which also owns and operates Coupons.ca, Codes.co.uk, Codes.de, CouponWinner.com, PromoCodes.com and myShoes.com, a shoe shopping website. Follow PromotionalCodes.com on Facebook or Twitter or visit the blog, BoardwalkSavers.com. Android and iPhone users can also find the latest deals on the free PromotionalCodes.com Coupon App. For more information, visit SurfMyAds.com.
About Harris Interactive
Harris Interactive is one of the world's leading market research firms, leveraging research, technology, and business acumen to transform relevant insight into actionable foresight. Known widely for The Harris Poll®, Harris offers proprietary solutions in the areas of market and customer insight, corporate brand and reputation strategy, and marketing, advertising, public relations and communications research across a wide range of industries. Additionally, Harris has a portfolio of multi-client offerings that complement our custom solutions while maximizing a client's research investment. Serving clients worldwide through our North American and European offices, Harris specializes in delivering research solutions that help our clients stay ahead of what's next. For more information, please visit http://www.harrisinteractive.com.