Electronic medical records make the process much quicker and easier with digital submissions. The systems also have the ability to identify potential problems before claims are sent.
Denville, NJ (PRWEB) November 18, 2013
“Medical billers and coders deal with a multitude of payers, each with their own set of parameters for submitting claims,” said Chhoda. “Many rejections are the result of simple but preventable mistakes. With an EMR, those errors can be identified before the claim is sent to almost completely eliminate denials.”
He added that medical coding and billing process begins before the patient encounter ever takes place and that’s where specialists should begin their checklist to avoid mistakes and errors. Electronic medical records make the process much quicker and easier with digital submissions. The systems also have the ability to identify potential problems before claims are sent.
Chhoda has recently shares some tips to prevent rejections and denials in medical billing.
- Validate the patient’s health insurance benefits, and make sure to require appropriate documentation for procedures, treatments supplies and services;
- Acquire complete demographic data at check-in, including ID, insurance, Social Security number and contact information;
- Evaluate the patient data immediately to ascertain any irregularities or problems, and repeat the same step with patient encounter information;
- Make sure that the physical therapy EMR system is structured well that ensures accuracy and allows sufficient time to review and send each claim;
- Don’t forget to be polite, courteous and professional at all times especially if a problem arises;
- Review and follow up daily on all accounts that haven’t yet been approved. If a claim isn’t paid in 60 days, make sure to contact with payers, verify the claim has been received, clearly state the expected outcome, and obtain verification information if the payment has been issued;
- It is important to be familiar with payer contracts to ensure claims are submitted according to specifications;
- If a claim doesn’t pay as expected, utilize the payer contract for reference and proof, and challenge claims paid according to a “usual and customary” fee schedule.
Medical billing and coding mistakes can be avoided using Chhoda’s new checklist and having an electronic medical records system makes the process infinitely easier to monitor, manage and maintain. Billers and coders are charged with variety of tasks, but their primary function is to ensure practitioners are paid. Chhoda’s tips helps eliminate mistakes that will facilitate the payment process.
Chhoda’s office can be reached by phone at 201-535-4475. For more information, visit the website at http://www.emrnews.com.
About Nitin Chhoda
Nitin Chhoda PT, DPT is a licensed physical therapist, a certified strength and conditioning specialist and an entrepreneur. He is the author of "Physical Therapy Marketing For The New Economy" and "Marketing for Physical Therapy Clinics" and is a prolific speaker, writer and creator of products and systems to streamline medical billing and coding, electronic medical records, health care practice management and marketing to increase referrals. He has been featured in numerous industry magazines, major radio and broadcast media, and is the founder of Referral Ignition training systems and the annual Private Practice Summit. Chhoda speaks extensively throughout the U.S., Canada and Asia. He is also the creator of the Therapy Newsletter and Clinical Contact, both web-based services to help private practices improve communication with patients, delivery better quality of care and boost patient retention.