The most important thing you can do if you are involved in an auto accident is remain calm and try and collect as much information as possible.
San Diego, CA (PRWEB) February 27, 2015
Being in car accident can be scary and overwhelming, especially if there are injuries involved. But, according to the San Diego auto accident lawyers of The Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock A.P.C., there are steps you can take to ensure you recover the full amount of compensation you are owed for any financial, physical and emotional damages.
“The most important thing you can do if you are involved in an auto accident is remain calm and try and collect as much information as possible,” said Melinda Helbock, founder of The Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock A.P.C. “After you have a chance to gather information from the other driver(s) and report the accident to the police, you should seek medical attention for any resulting injuries. Even if you aren’t suffering pain, you should get checked out as certain types of injuries may take days to show symptoms.”
Helbock and her staff recommend the following steps in the event you are in an auto accident:
- Collect information about the accident and scene: use your cell phone camera or video camera to take pictures or video of the accident scene. Things to document include any damage to the vehicles involved (yours and any others); the license plates of all vehicles involved; any important information like a street light, stop sign or intersection where the accident occured.
- Collect information from the other driver(s) involved: make sure to get the name, number and insurance information from anyone involved in the accident. It would be a good idea to take a picture of the other driver(s) insurance card so you don’t write down the wrong information.
- Talk to witnesses: it is always a good idea to get the names and phone numbers of any witnesses of the crash, especially if the accident is not your fault.
- Call the police: even if the accident isn’t serious, you should report it to the police so there is documentation of what happened and who was involved.
- Seek medical attention: even if you feel OK, you should still see a doctor to check for any injuries. Sometimes car crash victims may feel fine immediately after an accident, because of shock or adrenaline, but may start to feel symptoms a few days later. You want to be sure that you seek medical attention and that it is reordered in case your injuries show up later.
- Consult an attorney: it is always a good idea to consult an accident lawyer following any type of accident. An attorney can ensure that you get the full amount of compensation owed to you by law. Compensation can help with medical bills, time off of work due to injuries, damage to your vehicle and pain and suffering.
About The Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock A.P.C.
The Law Office of Melinda J. Helbock A.P.C. is a San Diego based personal injury law firm that represents personal injury victims and their families in injury and wrongful death claims involving negligence. The attorneys have vast experience in auto accident claims throughout San Diego County and beyond. For more information visit PersonalInjurySanDiego.net.