In my professional opinion, Spartan's test is an essential tool. Experts in the water management, water treatment, and water consulting industries should take the time to explore. - Bill Pearson, President of BPEARSON Consulting LLC, member of ASHRAE 188, CTI 159, and AWT Legionella committees
OTTAWA, Canada (PRWEB) September 09, 2019
Spartan Bioscience today launched a partnership program to accelerate global adoption of the world’s first on-site Legionella DNA test and reduce cases of Legionnaires’ disease around the world. The new program offers exclusive benefits to potential partners in the water treatment, water consultant, and HVAC industries.
Real-world need for rapid, accurate Legionella detection
Legionella is a bacteria that can contaminate large water systems. When people breathe in water vapor that has been contaminated with Legionella, they are at risk of contracting Legionnaires' – a pneumonia that is fatal in 1 in 10 people.(1) Despite increased Legionella testing, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported a 550% increase in Legionnaires' cases since 2000.(2) Overall, Legionnaires’ infects and kills more people annually than asbestos.(3) Traditional testing methods can be too slow or inaccurate to prevent Legionnaires’ outbreaks. That is why the medical field evolved to DNA-based diagnostics over 10 years ago.
On-site Legionella DNA test reduces risk of Legionnaires’
Thanks to its biotechnology background and 13 years of R&D on its molecular diagnostics platform, Spartan has developed a DNA test that solves the problems of traditional Legionella testing methods. The Spartan Legionella Detection System is the world’s first on-site Legionella DNA test. It is powered by a highly accurate Nobel Prize-winning chemistry called qPCR and provides results in 45 minutes instead of weeks. Unlike lab-based qPCR methods, Spartan’s test has proprietary technology that detects live and not dead bacteria, and is calibrated to culture so that 1 Genomic Unit(GU)/mL with Spartan = 1 Colony Forming Unit (CFU)/mL with culture. Spartan’s Legionella test is validated according to ISO 12869.(4) Overall, Spartan’s test enables fast and accurate detection of Legionella bacteria to prevent Legionnaires’ outbreaks — at a cost of only a few dollars a day.
How partners are using Spartan’s test
Spartan’s partners are differentiating themselves in the global marketplace as innovators and thought leaders who are taking advantage of a worldwide trend toward DNA-based diagnostic techniques. Spartan’s program is designed to:
- Grow your competitive advantage. Leverage Spartan's innovative test to convert new business and customers.
- Save time investigating outbreaks. Results in 45 minutes means your company can provide clients with rapid Legionella detection and remediation.
- Offer an additional testing method. Spartan's test can be used in parallel to your clients' existing testing method to provide the most comprehensive prevention.
- Validate your Legionella program. Prove in real time that your Legionella control program is the most effective in your market.
Additionally, Spartan’s partners have access to a growing ecosystem of scientific leaders and expertise, dedicated training resources and technical support, as well as co-marketing and joint sales calls.
For more information, please visit environmental.spartanbio.com/partners or visit Spartan at Booth #312 at the Association of Water Technologies (AWT) Annual Convention & Exposition in Palm Springs, California from Sept. 11-13, 2019.
“In my professional opinion, Spartan's Legionella test is an essential tool. Experts in the water management, water treatment, and water consulting industries should take the time to explore.”
- Bill Pearson, President of BPEARSON Consulting LLC, member of ASHRAE 188, CTI 159, and AWT Legionella committees
“With Spartan, we can immediately validate the effectiveness of Legionella remediation.”
- Brian Waymire, CEO of Innovative Water Consulting
“Spartan’s onsite test helps our clients prevent the risk of Legionella outbreaks.”
- Peter Bozel, CEO of Norkem Commercial & Industrial Water Treatment
“Our organization is always looking for innovative, proven solutions that allow for real-time detection of waterborne pathogen threats and Spartan's environmental testing platform is unmatched in the world. With Spartan's on-site test, LiquiTech can provide clients with a complete and integrated Legionella solution, from rapid on-site detection to immediate treatment and validation.”
- Steve Schira, President and CEO of LiquiTech
About Spartan Bioscience
Spartan Bioscience is the leader in on-demand DNA testing. The Spartan Cube, the world’s smallest DNA testing platform, enables unprecedented portability and convenience in applications such as infectious disease, pharmacogenetics, and food and water safety testing. Spartan created the first on-site Legionella DNA test to prevent the risk of Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks in buildings. It consists of the Spartan Cube and a single-use disposable test cartridge. Spartan’s Legionella test is validated according to ISO 12869.(4) For more information, please visit: https://environmental.spartanbio.com/
1. Bartram J et al. (Eds.). (2007). Legionella and the prevention of legionellosis. World Health Organization: WHO Press.
2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2018). Legionnaires’ disease history and patterns. April 30.
3. Mazurek JM et al. (2017). Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 66(8): 214–218.
4. Ahmed S et al. (2019). Journal of Water and Health. 17(2): 237–253.