Attorney Joe Bornstein Comments On Report About 2013 Social Security Disability Statistics

Share Article

Maine disability attorney Joe Bornstein of the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein says the latest statistics published by the government show that recipients of disability benefits are, on average, younger than those who received benefits 50 years ago.

These statistics shed light onto the importance of Social Security benefits not only for the retired and elderly, but for the millions of disabled people who can’t work and rely on Social Security Disability benefits to help them cover everyday expenses.

Maine Social Security Disability lawyer Joe Bornstein today said the Social Security Administration’s recently published “Fast Facts & Figures” guide reveals that the demand for benefits remains strong.

About 8.9 million disabled workers will be paid more than $10 billion in Social Security benefits over the course of 2013, according to the Social Security Administration. Social Security's chief actuary, Stephen Goss, told Reuters that 11.5 million people will be getting disability benefits by 2016, when the disability fund is projected to run out of reserves unless Congress takes action. (Column: Five things you should know about Social Security, August 30).

“Without question, the demand for disability benefits is rising,” said Bornstein, whose firm represents Mainers who are applying for SSDI and Supplemental Security Income, which pays benefits based on financial need. “The process of securing benefits is not getting any easier, which is why many applicants would be well served by working with an experienced lawyer. A legal professional can mean the critical difference between success and failure for an applicant.”

According to the Social Security Administration, disabled workers account for nearly 20 percent of benefits paid by the organization. The other 80 percent is paid out to people over 62, mostly for retirement.

“These statistics shed light onto the importance of Social Security benefits not only for the retired and elderly, but for the millions of disabled people who can’t work and rely on Social Security Disability benefits to help them cover everyday expenses,” Bornstein said.

The Social Security Administration report states that the average disabled worker only receives an average monthly benefit of $1,129 – or $13,548 per year.

According to the Reuters column, an aging baby boomer population could cause not only the average age of a Social Security Disability recipient to fall sharply, but the amount of claims to further increase. Additionally, the report states that average age of a disabled worker receiving benefits was 53.2 last year, down from 57.2 in 1960.

“Our disability lawyers in Maine understand the reasons why millions of people rely on Social Security Disability benefits each year. While these numbers are projected to grow, it’s vital for our residents in Maine and throughout the United States to continue receiving these essential benefits,” Bornstein said. “We know how frustrating the application and appeals process can be for people who are not familiar with the system. That’s why we recommend that applicants consider working with an experienced attorney who can protect them from making certain common errors that might harm their changes of approval.”

About the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein

Since 1974, attorney Joe Bornstein and his experienced legal team have obtained over $200 million in compensation for accident victims in Portland, Bangor, Augusta, and throughout Maine. In addition to helping Maine residents with their Social Security Disability claims, Bornstein and his team of over 70 experienced legal professionals hear cases on behalf of the victims of medical malpractice, car and truck accidents, dangerous drugs, defective products, slip and fall accidents, and many other types of personal injuries. Bornstein and his staff have a well-earned reputation as one of Maine’s best-known and successful law firms who have helped nearly 20,000 clients obtain compensation against negligent parties.

If you’ve looking for help with your Social Security Disability claim in Maine, contact the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein at 1-877-294-6813 for a free case evaluation.

Joe Bornstein’s law offices, which are wheelchair-accessible, are located in Portland, Sanford, Biddeford, Lewiston, Augusta, and Bangor. The main office for the Law Offices of Joe Bornstein is located at 5 Moulton St., Portland, ME 04101. Visit http://www.joebornstein.com/ for more information.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Jacob M Del Hagen
Visit website