"...greater diversity and gender equality in the today's nursing workforce is an integral part of healthcare system."
(PRWEB) May 05, 2014
Travel Nurse Source just released the eye-opening “The Modern Nurse: Exploring Diversity in the Nursing Profession” infographic. The graphic showcases the many faces of nursing just in time to celebrate National Nurses’ Week 2014, which runs from May 6th until May 12th.
The infographic presents shocking comparisons between gender and ethnicity among the nursing workforce. Startling facts reveal male nurses will make on average $9,000 more annually than their female counterpart doing the same work. In addition to pay inequalities, the highlighted statistics expose the lack of cultural and gender diversity in the workplace and how the nurse population is slowly evolving.
The goal of this data compilation is to bring national attention to diversity levels in the U.S. nurse population. Nursing as a profession is traditionally labeled as a strictly female dominated (“pink-collar”) profession and is mostly Caucasian-dominated. Travel Nurse Source feels that greater diversity and gender equality in the today's nursing workforce is an integral part of healthcare system.
Some of the diversity highlights include:
- On average, male nurses are younger, earn a higher salary but are less satisfied with their careers than their female counterparts
- Caucasian nurses earn higher median salaries than nurses of other ethnicities
- 83% of all nurses in the U.S. are Caucasian
- Asians, African Americans and Hispanic nursing students are more likely to pursue a baccalaureate or higher level of education than Caucasians
- The male RN population has more than tripled since 1970
- Female nurses earn $0.91 for every $1 earned by male nurses
About Travel Nurse Source:
Travel Nurse Source is the premier online job board created for nurses interested in exploring the country and gaining valuable experience working for top healthcare providers. Our site offers hundreds of travel nurse opportunities and connects professionals to leading industry recruiters.