Assisi Veterinary Hospital Reminds Pet Owners of Holiday Dangers

Assisi Veterinary Hospital warns against the dangers of the holiday season for pets.

  • Share on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on LinkedInEmail a friend

Malverne, NY (PRWEB) December 16, 2013

This time of year, the holidays arrive with all the joy and chaos they bring. Even though it is a time of festivities, decorations, families and gifts, it also is a time of danger for pets. Assisi Veterinary Hospital wants pet owners to be aware of these dangers and to take the necessary precautions. Such dangers may include food, plants, stocking stuffers and batteries, to name a few.

Alcohol is also toxic to pets. Because of their size, small pets are particularly at risk for alcohol poisoning. Some signs of alcohol poisoning are stupor, staggering, a lack of coordination and vomiting.

There are some plants that may cause problems for pets. Poinsettias may cause nausea and vomiting. Mistletoe and holly are moderately to highly toxic if eaten. Diarrhea, vomiting, depression, difficulty breathing or worse could occur. Even tree needles can cause vomiting.

Keep in mind that items such as small toys, especially with strings; ornaments; batteries and tinsel, if eaten, could require surgery to remove. Pay attention to the electrical wires of tree lights, extension cords and any other item using electric cords. Cats and dogs, especially kittens and puppies, might love to chew on them, causing them to get burned and/or electrocuted.

Holiday meals also can bring trouble. Rich foods can cause gastroenteritis or pancreatitis. They should not eat onions, chocolate, grapes, some nuts and bones. They may cause an upset stomach or become toxic to pets. When having guests over or answering the door for all of those packages being delivered, keep pets safe indoors to avoid losing them and make sure pets are micro-chipped in case the worst happens.

Be mindful of all of these things during the holidays and keep pets safe. If anything gets eaten or chewed do not hesitate to contact Assisi Veterinary Hospital immediately. Time is of the essence, especially when eating toxic items. It is imperative that they receive treatment in these cases.

To learn more, visit Assisi Veterinary Hospital’s website at http://www.assisivh.com/.

About the company:

Assisi Veterinary Hospital is a full-service, state-of-the-art facility offering the very best in high quality care for all pets’ needs. With their fully-licensed, caring and kindhearted staff, they will care for pets as if they were their own. The animal hospital boasts a staff of over 18 fully-trained professionals. Assisi also offers services such as pet boarding and pet grooming. For more information, please visit their website at http://www.assisivh.com.


Contact

Follow us on: Contact's Facebook Contact's Twitter Contact's Google Plus