(PRWEB) September 07, 2013
Travelers planning a Tibet tour quickly find that there are a seemingly endless number of destinations to choose from. Tibet is a huge country with lots to offer travelers; sometimes, sorting through all the options can be overwhelming. To help travelers plan their trip Lhasa based Tibet travel agency Tibet Ctrip Travel Service-TCTS (http://www.tibetctrip.com) has put together a list of some of 5 of the most popular tourist destinations.
1. Yarlung Valley. According to Tibetan legend, the Tibetan people originated from Yarlung thousands of years ago. It’s home to historical sites such as Yungbulakang Palace and Tsetang, Tibet’s original capital that predates the arrival of Buddhism. Many cultural tours of Tibet will include a visit here!
2. Tashilhunpo Monastery. Located in Tibet’s second largest city, Shigatse, this monastery sprawls over a large area and is the seat of the Panchen Lama. Constructed about 600 years ago its main attraction is a towering statue of the Maitreya Buddha.
3. Lake Yamdrok. This sacred like shines a beautiful bluish turquoise hue on clear days. Surrounded by beautiful snow capped peaks this is one of Tibet’s largest lakes and is among the highest altitude fresh water lakes in the world. According to local Tibetans, before the construction of Potala Palace the remains of previous Dalai Lamas were laid to rest here.
4. Mt Everest. Topping out at about 8,848 meters this gargantuan mountain is the crown jewel of any tour of Tibet. Travelers can stay overnight in one of the tent camps near Everest’s base or even make the four day trek to base camp from Old Tingri.
5. Mt. Kailash. Kailash is held sacred by Hindus, Tibetan Buddhists, and Bon alike; many believe that the ritualistic trek around it the mountain purifies the soul of anger fear and prejudice. Travelers of all faiths are welcome to make take part in this wonderful cultural experience.
Travel in Tibet is one of the most unique experiences available to travelers; the scenery is phenomenal and the culture is fascinating. These five destinations will not only leave visitors in awe but also will help them in gaining an understanding of Tibetan history and culture. Autumn in Tibet is a perfect time for a visit, travelers are encouraged to book their adventure now.
Devin Moore, author of this release, is a travel writer and independent economic analyst based in Denver, Colorado USA. In partnership with local Tibetan travel agent TCTS (tibetctrip.com), Devin publishes Tibet travel related information in order to spread awareness of Tibet and its people.