Wintergreen, Va. (PRWEB) December 07, 2016
Wintergreen Resort’s reputation as an award-winning, family-oriented winter destination make it the ideal location to engage kids and help them safely learn to ski and snowboard. With 24 snow-covered slopes nestled in Virginia’s spectacular Blue Ridge Mountains, the resort’s Learn to Ski & Ride Program is a time-tested winner for kids and parents alike.
Over the years, Wintergreen’s team of expert instructors have personally witnessed the many variables that go into making the learning experience a positive one for children. Here are their top 10 tips for parents wishing to introduce the sport to their kids:
1. Have fun. Incorporate fun and games into learning so the kids remain engaged during their time on snow.
2. Dress appropriately for the conditions. Nobody can learn if they’re too cold or too hot.
3. Eat first. A hungry child is not a happy child.
4. Mentally prepare. If it’s a child’s first time skiing or riding, be sure to inform them of what they’re going to be doing.
5. Stop when appropriate. Stopping before children get too tired and miserable makes it more likely they will participate in the activity again.
6. Expectations vs. Reality. As a parent, keep expectations in check: Don’t expect a child to become an Olympic skier on day one!
7. Equipment check. If able, first introduce a child to the ski or ride equipment – especially those heavy ski boots – in the comfort of their own home.
8. Select the lesson. Think about the child’s specific learning style and determine if they would be best suited for a one-on-one private lesson with an instructor, or better suited for a group lesson with children their age.
9. Make it a complete experience. Inform children about options after they finish skiing or riding – swimming, Adventure Center, tubing and more. If children have an entire day of fun, they’re more likely to want to do it all over again…and soon.
10. Exercise patience. The minute skiing feels like a job for kids, they’re going to want to quit. Focus on the fun, and remember to be patient: It can often take more than once, or even a few times, for them to realize what a great experience it can be!
Wintergreen Resort offers 75-minute lessons for skiers age 6 and older, as well as for riders 8 and older, including both half-day or full-day snowsports school options. In addition to skiing and riding, the resort also offers snow tubing, ice skating and Ridgley’s Fun Park for the youngest snow lovers. Wintergreen, too, has a huge indoor pool and hot tub, indoor play area called Discovery Ridge Adventure Center with a bounce house, video games, pool table, and foosball.
Wintergreen Resort accommodations are ideal for families. Options include 230 villa-style condominiums and rental homes, from studio suites to nine-bedroom homes, each offering a fully-equipped kitchen, and comfortable living area; most come with fireplaces and a balcony or deck.
For more information, call 888-329-5828 or visit http://www.wintergreenresort.com.
# # #
About Wintergreen Resort: Wintergreen Resort is an 11,000-acre, four-season resort located in the Blue Ridge Mountains southwest of Charlottesville, Va. This beautiful hideaway is the ultimate vacation and conference spot, nearly 230 condominium-style accommodations; 45 holes of championship golf; snow skiing, snowboarding and snow tubing; an award-winning tennis program; a full-service, destination spa; 40,000 square feet of meeting and event space; and savory dining options. The resort is located adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway in beautiful central Virginia near Charlottesville, just 90 minutes from Richmond, Va., three hours from Washington, D.C. and Raleigh, N.C., five and a half hours from Philadelphia, and eight hours from Atlanta. For more information, guests can call (434) 325-2200 or visit the resort’s web site at http://www.wintergreenresort.com.