(PRWEB) August 26, 2013
Last week school started throughout the Bay Area. But this week, there's a a very important back-to-school scene for dyslexic/gifted kids.
Athena School is starting up its third year in operation as a laboratory school, offering the most innovative program for helping dyslexic/gifted kids with reading and learning.
Monday, August 26, 2013, Media are welcome at any time during this day. Please call ahead to let us know how we can help you with this great "Back To School" story. We have students, teachers and parents available for interviews!
525 San Antonio Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94306
- Carla Rayacich, founder of Athena Academy.
- Students who have completed one or two years at the school
- Specialized teachers and staff
A Silicon Valley entrepreneur, Rayacich home-schooled her dyslexic twins who were not getting the help they needed at traditional schools. From this experience came Athena Academy. The non-profit is one of the only schools in the U.S using the visual-spatial method of teaching. As a laboratory school, it is dedicated to research, validation and documentation of the most innovative evidence-based strategies for helping dyslexic students master and enjoy learning
Kids and parents entering for the first day of school
Teachers using modeling clay to help kids make spatial sense of the shapes of letters and words
Teachers explaining how the visual-spatial method differs from traditional teaching approaches.
FAMOUS PEOPLE GIFTED WITH DYSLEXIA
- Gavin Newsom, Mayor of San Francisco; Lieutenant Governor of California
- John T Chambers, CEO of Cisco Systems
- William Hewlett, Co-Founder, Hewlett-Packard
- Charles Schwab, Investor
- Richard Branson,Founder of Virgin Enterprises
- Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA
- Paul J. Orfalea, founder of Kinko's
- Ted Turner, President, Turner Broadcasting Systems
- Steven Spielberg
- Agatha Christie
- Nelson Rockefeller
- Paul Wellstone, U.S. Senator
- Woodrow Wilson
- George Washington
- Henry Ford