The partnership allows IT admins and educators to shape and secure their students' online screen-time by not just filtering on unsafe content, but also pushing students towards 21st century educational tools.
Santa Clara, CA (PRWEB) April 08, 2014
Silicon Valley based Securly, Inc. - the world's leading cloud based provider of unified Internet Security for K-12 schools today announced integration with Komodia's content classification engine. With 44 out of 50 US states adopting Common Core standards, K-12 schools have come to rely increasingly on technology as a medium of instruction. With more children than ever having access to 1:1 devices like Chromebooks and iPads, enforcing the CIPA (Children's Internet Protection Act) law has become more challenging than ever. The challenges of this new landscape are complicated not just by user-generated adult content that has continued to grow exponentially, but also timesinks like gaming and social networking that get in the way of 21st century educational tools such as Google, Wikipedia and YouTube.
Says Securly co-founder Vinay Mahadik, “as former enterprise-security architects at companies like McAfee and Huawei-Symantec, we understood early on that K-12 content classification is unique and best solved by a service provider focused on classification and on online child safety and productivity.” Among the companies Securly evaluated to partner with in solving this problem, Tel Aviv based Komodia came out on top.
Some highlights from the Securly-Komodia partnership:
- Millions of periodically updated URLs that are then culled into under 20 K-12 focused categories from adult, hate, and grief at the one end to education/achievement related at the other.
- An extensive list of educational sites and time-sinks that allows Securly to present analytics on student screen-time to IT Admins, teachers and administrators.
- Granular social media coverage that allows IT to open up blogging services like Tumblr for classroom use while still blocking unsafe individual blogs hosted on it.
- Extensive coverage of proxy, annoymizer and vpn sites that are a constant source of support tickets for IT.
- Available 100% through the cloud with zero software or hardware updates to apply. For all devices - in-school or take-home.
Securly is the world's leading provider of unified cloud based security for K-12 schools. The founding team has a combined 20+ years of experience in the enterprise network security space. The company is a venture backed startup in Silicon Valley and serves hundreds of schools in North America, Europe and the Asia Pacific region.
Komodia founded 6 years ago is a major player in the parental control market, providing both a SDK to filter traffic on PCs and URL classification services that support per domain and per page filtering with an emphasis on children and productivity related categories.