Participating homes in the 5th Annual Houston Modern Home Tour will open their doors for viewing from 11AM – 5PM on Saturday, September 26th, in the Houston, Texas, area. All are invited to attend.
Houston, Texas (PRWEB) September 14, 2015
Modern Home Tours LLC is returning to Houston. During the 2015 Houston Modern Home Tour, which marks the tour’s fifth consecutive year, attendees will have the opportunity to explore seven modern homes in the Houston area that exemplify modern architecture and living. Tourgoers can get the inside scoop from homeowners on what it’s like to live in a modern home, and talk to the architects to find out from where they found their inspiration. This is every Houston resident’s chance to see the inside of ‘that unique, cool house you always drive by…’
Continuing a very solid partnership, Lawndale Art Center has been named the Houston Modern Home Tour’s local non-profit beneficiary for the fourth year in a row. They will help staff the event, in return for a small donation and the opportunity to use the tour as a fundraising vehicle to help further their mission of presenting contemporary art from regional artists to the masses.
Seven homes have been accepted and confirmed for the 2015 Houston Modern Home Tour. Participating architects and designers, and featured neighborhoods include:
(1) In the West University Place neighborhood, studioMET Architects created a sustainable house for a young family that exemplifies ‘doing more with less’ in a modern style. The home features an open concept kitchen-dining-living space, a yoga terrace, a sliding wall of glass to let in plenty of sunlight, and a small Brazilian wood patio that extends the living space outside where water, grass and sky meet.
(2) Merge Architects Inc. is showcasing a home they designed in the southern part of the Bellaire neighborhood that sits upon concrete piers to accommodate the lots location in a flood plain. The central pivot of the home is a two-story height great room, from which each wing of the house stems. All common areas of the house open up to this room on all levels, including the large covered back patio.
(3) In the central Houston Upper Kirby District, visit a contemporary home on double lot, designed by architect Scott Ballard. The home features a large open living area with a double height glass wall that opens to a pool area via an operable wall system, plus a central covered outdoor room with outdoor kitchen and deck above. The home also sports an exercise room, home theatre, game room, plus space for future bedrooms/baths.
(4) MASA Studio Architects is showcasing their design in a second West University Place home that welcomes visitors through a 5′ x 10′ pivoting glass door. Located at the rear of the house, the family room extends to the outdoor living spaces and infinity edge pool, courtesy of a large sliding glass pocket door. At the center of the home, a dramatic two-story window is the backdrop for robust steel and wood stair that spirals around a glass bocce ball chandelier to the private spaces on the second floor.
(5) Up in the Garden Oaks neighborhood, visit a home designed by Intexure Architects that demonstrates good design with a practical approach to real life solutions for modern life. A central axis divides the home into two halves separating the master and secondary bedrooms on the second floor and creating a circulation spine throughout the home. Windows are oriented to capture views and bring the exteriors in, including views to the pool which connects the home to the landscape. A custom fabricated stair and bespoke millwork details add warmth and character to the home.
(6) In midtown, see the recent renovation of a stunning loft in the Edge that embodies a minimalist urban aesthetic with colorful artistic interludes, completed by the Wendt Design Group.
(7) Finally, take a look inside another studioMET home, located just north of University Place, that is best described as an introverted courtyard. The entry sequence into the house includes a sky court, wraparound deck, garden, outdoor living space and pool. Massing for the house includes a separate double height volume at the front of the property for a guest suite and an L-shaped configuration for the main house containing the kitchen, dining room and living room in the long bar. Private spaces are amassed in the two-story volume of the short bar.
Participating homes in the 5th Annual Houston Modern Home Tour will open their doors for viewing from 11AM – 5PM on Saturday, September 26th, in the Houston, Texas, area. All are invited to attend. Tickets for the Houston Modern Home Tour are $30 in advance online; $40 on the day of the tour. Kids under 12 are free when accompanying their parents. For more details, to see a current roster of homes with details and photos, and to buy tickets for the Houston Modern Home Tour, visit: http://modernhometours.com/event/2015-houston-modern-home-tour
About Modern Home Tours, LLC: Based in Austin, Texas, Modern Home Tours, LLC was founded by James Leasure in 2010 to introduce modern architecture and living to people across the nation. Through fun and informative tours in dozens of cities across the USA and Canada, the group invites people into some of the most exciting examples of modern architecture and design in the nation. With carefully selected architects, neighborhoods and architecture, the Modern Home Tours are unlike anything you’ve ever seen. Not only will you learn about the cutting edge of home design while on our tours, but you might even get an idea or two for your next home project!