West Palm Beach, FL (PRWEB) August 18, 2016
Labor Day marks the unofficial end of summer, but leisure travel is not ready to slow down just yet.
According to HotelPlanner.com, more people are traveling and booking hotels over the holiday weekend compared to last year thanks to lower gas prices, affordable lodging rates, and a strong U.S. dollar. Hotels are going fast as families and friends across the country gather to celebrate Labor Day and yet, there are still last-minute getaways to choose from in the most popular destinations before the last weekend of summer.
HotelPlanner ranked the cities with the highest number of reservations based on data pulled over the three-day weekend.
Although a large sum of travelers are still booking major city escapes (Chicago, Orlando and Atlanta), the most interesting find is a shift with holiday travelers trading in nationally known city destinations for secondary cities (Nashville, New Orleans, and Seattle). Overall, travelers are making their vacation days count more than ever.
This year’s top Labor Day destinations are:
5. New Orleans
9. Las Vegas
10. New York City
Chicago made its way to the top of the list this year at #1 with an average nightly room rate of $152 over the three-day weekend.
Both Orlando and Atlanta moved down one spot, but are still in the top three. Orlando bookings lead with an average rate of $80 per night with Atlanta at an average rate of $103 per night. Las Vegas and New York City also round the top ten with new cities added to the list this year which include Houston, Nashville, New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Seattle.
Visitors booking these destinations can enjoy a combination of weekend activities ranging from food and music festivals, fireworks, light displays, and sporting events. This also includes the availability of attractive hotel rates in the downtown area or near an international airport.
Popular Labor Day Weekend activities with moderate to high impact in each city:
- Chicago: 38th Annual Chicago Jazz Festival (Chicago Cultural Center, Millennium Park) and the North Coast Music Festival (Union Park)
- Orlando: Disney On Ice presents “Follow Your Heart” (Amway Center)
- Atlanta: Dragoncon 2016 Annual Convention and the Stone Mountain Park Lasershow and Fireworks
- Philadelphia: 4th Annual Made In America Music Festival (Benjamin Franklin Parkway)
- New Orleans: Louisiana Seafood Festival (New Orleans City Park) and Southern Decadence (French Quarter)
- Houston: Labor Day at Waterway Square and the 2016 Advocare Texas Kickoff (Houston vs. Oklahoma)
- Nashville: The InterNASHional Food Crawl (Plaza Mariachi) and Fireworks at Nashville Shores
- Seattle: Bumbershoot, 46th Annual Music & Arts Festival (Seattle Center)
- Las Vegas: 6th Annual Labor Day Getaway VIP in the Entertainment Capital and the Viva Vision Light Show at Fremont Street Experience
- New York City: Electric Zoo Festival (Randall's Island Park), Riis Park Beach Bazaar, and The U.S. Open (Flushing Meadows-Corona Park)
Recommended hotels deals through HotelPlanner.com include:
- Travelodge Hotel Downtown, a 2-star hotel starting at $135, Hyatt Place Chicago/Downtown - The Loop, a 3-star hotel starting at $164, and the Kimpton Burnham Hotel, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $177
- Red Roof Inn Orlando South - Florida Mall, a 2-star hotel starting at $68, Wingate By Wyndham - Orlando International Airport, 3-star hotel starting at $89, and Renaissance Orlando Airport Hotel By Marriott, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $101
- Extended Stay America Atlanta - Clairmont, a 2-star hotel starting at $96, Homewood Suites By Hilton Atlanta/Perimeter Center, 3-star hotel starting at $169, and Hyatt Regency Atlanta Perimeter At Villa Christina, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $189
- Hampton Inn Philadelphia-International Airport, a 2-star hotel starting at $159, Hilton Garden Inn Philadelphia City Center, 3-star hotel starting at $184, and the Sheraton Philadelphia Society Hill Hotel, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $234
New Orleans, LA
- Super 8 New Orleans, a 2-star hotel starting at $87, Springhill Suites By Marriott New Orleans Downtown, a 3-star hotel starting at $133, and the Intercontinental New Orleans, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $144
- Howard Johnson Express Inn - Houston Downtown, a 2-star hotel starting at $84, Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Houston-Downtown Conv Ctr, 3-star hotel starting at $105, and Hyatt Regency Houston, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $132
- Red Roof Plus+ Nashville Airport, a 2-star hotel starting at $82, Four Points By Sheraton Nashville Airport, 3-star hotel starting at $139, and the Marriott Nashville Airport, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $152
- Comfort Inn & Suites Seattle, a 2-star hotel starting at $148, Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites North Seattle – Shoreline, a 3-star hotel starting at $212, and Hotel Deca - A Noble House Hotel, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $228
Las Vegas, NV
- Candlewood Suites Las Vegas, a 2-star hotel starting at $85, La Quinta Inn & Suites Las Vegas Airport South, 3-star hotel starting at $106, and the Renaissance Las Vegas Hotel, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $122
New York City, NY
- Hotel 31, a 2-star hotel starting at $140, Best Western Bowery Hanbee Hotel, 3-star hotel starting at $198, and Andaz Wall Street, a 4-star downtown hotel starting at $206
HotelPlanner.com provides group hotel booking services to 3,000 groups per day in the global group travel market. The company’s group hotel booking service ensures the lowest rates by allowing customers to receive quotes online directly from hotel group sales managers. HotelPlanner allows customers to book hotels for business meetings, conferences, conventions, family reunions, weddings, extended stays, tours, military reunions, church events, and group travels. The company also provides mobile applications for booking group hotel reservations. The company owns and operates Meetings.com, a site that provides information, planning and booking services for group, meeting, and individual hotel stays for the corporate, associations and business to business enterprises. With a mission statement geared towards, “Bringing People Together,” HotelPlanner & Meetings.com are the global experts for hotel sourcing, providing direct clients and market leading affiliates with unmatched group and event discounted room rates plus localized service levels not available at other travel companies. Founded in 2002, the company has offices in London, England (European Headquarters), Hong Kong (Asian Headquarters), West Palm Beach, FL (USA Headquarters), and Las Vegas, Nevada.