Chapel Hill, N.C. (PRWEB) October 19, 2016
The University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School has announced the launch of the Center of Sport Business.
As part of the Frank Hawkins Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise, the center will be a hub for scholarship, entrepreneurship and research-based education in sport business.
“There is lot excitement about efforts that combine our academic excellence and leadership in the sport industry,” said Deborah Stroman, center director and clinical associate professor of organizational behavior at UNC Kenan-Flagler. “We will provide opportunities for students to learn about the field and examine economic and social challenges of sport. Tapping into our alumni base and extensive sport network, we are well-positioned to make a difference here in North Carolina and in global markets.”
The Center of Sport Business represents the Kenan Institute’s new model of “academics in action,” according to Greg Brown, director of the Kenan Institute and professor of finance at UNC Kenan-Flagler.
“The global sport industry lends itself towards practical application, innovation and research,” said Brown. “The opportunity to engage with alumni and business partners to further the business mission of sport organizations and the performance goals of athletes is exciting and long overdue.”
The center’s programs and activities include:
- The SPEIA Basketball Analytics Summit™, which hosts sport professionals, researchers, faculty and students interested in the intersection of analytics and the business of basketball
- Research investigating the social and economic impact of sport in North Carolina
- Participating in the Global Sports Mentoring Program of the U.S. State Department and espnW
- Sport Entrepreneurship curriculum and co-curricular activities such as the Carolina Sport Court™, a sports “shark tank,” for all 17 UNC academic institutions, venture creation mentoring and the Carolina North Star communication network for underrepresented students
- Student support for the Carolina Sport Business Club, MBA Sport & Entertainment Club and Carolina North Star
- An annual research symposium to explore critical issues in the field with academic leaders and business professionals from college and professional sports
“We recognize the influence and impact the Center of Sport Business can have through analytics and the ‘power of sport’ to uplift and inspire communities,” said Doug Shackelford, dean of UNC Kenan-Flagler. “The center demonstrates our continued support of innovative faculty members who combine their scholarship and passion to fast-growing and expansive global markets.”
About the University of North Carolina Kenan-Flagler Business School
Consistently ranked one of the world's best business schools, UNC Kenan-Flagler is known for its collaborative culture that stems from its core values: excellence, leadership, integrity, community and teamwork. Professors excel at both teaching and research, and demonstrate unparalleled dedication to students. Graduates are effective, principled leaders who have the technical and managerial skills to deliver results in the global business environment. UNC Kenan-Flagler offers a rich portfolio of programs and extraordinary, real-life learning experiences: Undergraduate Business, full-time MBA, Executive MBA Programs (Evening, Weekend and global OneMBA®), online MBA@UNC, UNC-Tsinghua Dual-Degree EMBA, Master of Accounting, PhD, Executive Development and UNC Business Essentials programs. It is home to the Frank Hawkins Kenan Institute of Private Enterprise.