NEW YORK (PRWEB) November 15, 2017
With nine years of legal experience in intellectual property, Kristin is adept in representing clients with trademark and copyright litigation, enforcement, portfolio management, registration strategies, and intellectual property due diligence in corporate transactions. She is experienced with proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and trademark and copyright infringement cases in federal courts. In addition, Kristin is skilled in representing clients with domain name disputes before the World Intellectual Property Organization’s Arbitration and Mediation Center, as well as a broad range of other Internet-related disputes and trademark and copyright enforcements in connection with social media.
Kristin has extensive experience representing clients across a variety of industries, including: retail; consumer goods; fashion and luxury goods; financial services; hospitality; online travel and accommodation booking; entertainment and media; and manufacturing. A few examples of her prior intellectual property experience include playing a crucial role in successfully representing:
- A well-known U.S. clothing brand in a priority and trademark dispute against a foreign competitor.
- A well-known record label in an opposition proceeding before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s Trademark Trial and Appeal Board concerning use of the client’s mark by another company for electronic goods. The opposition proceeding went through trial and resulted in a decision in favor of the client.
- A well-known furniture retailer in a dispute with an Internet fan site.
- A major international bank with obtaining an injunction and damages and attorneys’ fees against a web site delivering full copies online of proprietary analyst reports of the client.
- The licensor/owner of a well-known brand of men’s clothing with an international arbitration proceeding against its trademark licensee in China. After conducting a full trial on liability, the team successfully obtained an arbitral award confirming the termination of the license, finding that the licensee materially breached the license agreement, enjoining the licensee's activities in China and dismissing the China licensee's counterclaim. The team obtained a damages award in the amount of $1.2 million, a permanent injunction including an order to return or destroy all remaining inventory, and an award of attorneys’ fees and costs. This arbitration award was later formally recognized by the Shanghai Number One Intermediate People's Court.
- Multiple companies in obtaining domain names through Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy proceedings, including the following examples:
o Forum No. 1712212 (rocketonlinebusinessloans.com, rocketonlinebusinesloans.com, rocketonlineloans.com, rocketwins.com, rocketfinancing.com) Feb. 22, 2017.
o WIPO Case No. D2014-0147 (carolinacarports.com) Mar. 25, 2014.
o WIPO Case No. D2013-0061 (timelessclassicvacations.com) Feb. 20, 2013.
o WIPO Case No. D2012-0167 (ikeamarket.net) Mar. 22, 2012.
Kristin has been recognized as a New York “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers magazine for each of the past five years: Rising Star 2013 (Intellectual Property) and Rising Star 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 (Intellectual Property Litigation).
An engaging speaker on intellectual property topics, Kristin has provided significant pro bono volunteer work over the past nine years. She was a recipient of multiple awards for pro bono work, including the 2015 Commitment to Justice for Outstanding Legal Team award presented by Her Justice, Inc. She currently serves on the board of the South Carolina Governor’s School for Science and Mathematics Alumni Association and is a co-chair of the Fashion Law Committee of the Entertainment, Arts, and Sports Law section of the New York State Bar Association.
“Kristin’s experience complements and strengthens the firm’s Intellectual Property offering and we’re thrilled to have Kristin join the Tannenbaum Helpern family,” says Andrew W. Singer, Tannenbaum Helpern’s Co-Managing Partner.
About Tannenbaum Helpern Syracuse & Hirschtritt LLP
Since 1978, Tannenbaum Helpern Syracuse & Hirschtritt LLP has combined a powerful mix of insight, creativity, industry knowledge, senior talent and transaction expertise to successfully guide clients through periods of challenge and opportunity. Our mission is to deliver the highest quality legal services in a practical and efficient manner, bringing to bear the judgment, common sense and expertise of well trained, business minded lawyers. Through our commitment to service and successful results, Tannenbaum Helpern continues to earn the loyalty of our clients and a reputation for excellence. For more information, visit http://www.thsh.com or follow us on Twitter: @THSHLAW.
Tannenbaum Helpern Syracuse & Hirschtritt LLP
wu (at) thsh.com