BROOKFIELD, Wis. (PRWEB) May 31, 2018
GEP Power Products has developed a new IP 67 and 69K compliant, stud type electrical pass through device for lithium ion battery enclosures. The pass through is compatible with commercial and military grade requirements and offers completely occlusive sealing in a broad range of environments.
Lithium ion batteries require a separate exterior enclosure to isolate them entirely from working environments due to the technology's inherent instability. In this application, batteries that are housed inside an isolating enclosure transfer power through battery cables and connect via ring terminals to a stud type pass through device on the enclosing container's wall.
The electrical pass through device has three primary purposes:
1. Conduct electricity through the enclosure wall
2. Prevent any mechanical or environmental action, such as vibration or humidity, from causing abrasion that results in an electrical short
3. Prevent any infiltrating of liquids, gasses, dirt or other elements into the enclosure
Used primarily by utilities in high amperage electrical distribution grids and military applications, the enclosures must meet IP67 and IP69K standards.
The two main criteria for these standards are:
Prevention of dust ingress:
- No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact (dust tight).
- A vacuum must be applied. Test duration of up to 8 hours based on air flow.
Prevention of water ingress:
- IP 67: Water projected in powerful jets against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
- IP 69K: Protected against close-range high pressure, high temperature water spray.
In order to meet these standards, GEP has developed an entirely new assembly process for its sealed pass through devices. The process introduces a sealant that fills every area and surface of each component of the assembly to create a seal that is absolutely impermeable. The finished pass through device becomes an entirely sealed assembly that behaves as an impermeable unit that resists any liquid, gaseous or particulate penetration.
For a custom quote of any of your power distribution needs, contact GEP Power Products today. Whether you need a prototype or a full production run, GEP is the leading manufacturer of these products:
- ATO Blade Type Fuse Panels
- Bus Bar Assemblies
- Fuse and Relay Holders
- Insulator boots
- Pass Through Devices
- Power Distribution Housings
- Power Distribution Modules
- Power Feeds
- Relay modules
GEP understands power distribution and the challenges that it can bring. Today’s sophisticated electrical systems often present trials that cannot be satisfied with an off-the-shelf product. As your partner, GEP will design and develop a solution that meets your application needs.