We are thrilled to expand our offerings to high school students interested in pursuing real estate as a career, and look forward to welcoming them to our Lincoln Center campus this summer.
NEW YORK (PRWEB) June 05, 2018
Building on its mission to educate the future of New York City real estate professionals, the Fordham Real Estate Institute is pleased to announce the launch of its Summer High School Scholars program. Through a mix of in-class lectures, hands-on exercises and visits to prominent New York City properties, the program offers students the opportunity to gain a unique perspective into the numerous college study and career options that the field of real estate offers. All courses are taught by experienced industry professionals at Fordham‘s Lincoln Center campus in the heart of Manhattan.
Each of the five courses offered this year will take place over three sessions between June 24 and July 27. A Certificate in Building Design, Construction, Innovation and Development will be issued to students who complete three courses over the summer. Classes offered through the 2018 Summer High School Scholars Program include:
- Architecture: An Introduction to Design and Professional Practice – Learn how the built environment was designed and developed through the professional perspective of architecture. Get an overview of the history of architectural design and learn how materials, form and fabrication techniques contribute to the architect’s vision. Explore career options in architectural practices and get a taste of zoning and regulations, elementary structural engineering, how to capture and convey expressive ideas, the construction processes, and more.
- Real Estate Development in NYC: Principles and Process – Gain an understanding of the phases, procedures and complexities of developing and redeveloping various property types, including multifamily, office and mixed-use real estate. Topics covered include: an overview of the real estate development process, assembling the team, project stakeholders, market analysis and site selection, environmental review, marketability and design considerations, and more.
- Understanding Real Estate Investment Property Cash Flow and Value – Learn how an investment property earns income, provides an investment return to ownership and is valued. Topics include: real estate investment principles, foundations of real estate valuation, lease types, market rent vs. contract rent, useable and rentable area, and more. This course uses MS Excel software.
- Building Construction: An Introduction to the Process and Profession – Learn the phases of the construction process and the principles and practices of effective project management, with a focus on the design development, planning, evaluation and pre-construction stages of a project. Visit a live site to get a firsthand look at the project scope and issues facing developers.
- Entrepreneurial Startups: Innovation and Solutions – Learn how to identify needs and solve problems that matter to startups. Students will learn how to systematically analyze business problems that startups face and deliver elegant solutions. Gain a deeper understanding of the dynamics of and barriers to starting a business so that, regardless of the profession students embark on, they can become a more effective conduit for the innovation that all organizations require to survive.
“Since inception, the Fordham Real Estate Institute has been dedicated to helping current and future real estate professionals enhance their knowledge and skills through courses taught by the leading minds in New York City real estate,” said Anthony R. Davidson, Ph.D., dean of Fordham’s School of Professional and Continuing Studies. “We are thrilled to expand our offerings to high school students interested in pursuing real estate as a career, and look forward to welcoming them to our Lincoln Center campus this summer.”
The Real Estate Institute is a part of Fordham’s School of Professional and Continuing Studies. For more information on the Summer High School Scholars program, including registration details, visit https://www.fordham.edu/info/28103/real_estate_institute_summer_high_school_scholars_program.
ABOUT THE FORDHAM REAL ESTATE INSTITUTE
The Fordham Real Estate Institute currently offers a Master of Science in Real Estate, a graduate certificate, and a comprehensive array of professional real estate certificates at its campuses in Manhattan and West Harrison, New York. Serving professionals and owners/investors of all stripes, the MSRE curriculum presents the essential elements of real estate finance, investment, development and management. Both programs developed and taught by leading industry practitioners are centered on imparting real-world professional skill sets. Flexibility and convenience are program hallmarks: classes can be taken in-person, online, and at various paces. The Real Estate Institute is a part of Fordham’s School of Professional and Continuing Studies. For more information, visit http://www.fordham.edu/realestate.