WASHINGTON (PRWEB) September 10, 2018
As Hurricane Florence gains strength in the Atlantic, the American Insurance Association offers these tips for those who are preparing for the storm.
- Heed all evacuation notices from state and local officials. If your community is told to evacuate, do so as soon as possible.
- Sign up for emergency alerts so you have the most up-to-date information about the storm.
- Identify the location of a safe place to take shelter in the event that you need to evacuate.
- If it’s still safe for you to be in your home, remove any items from your yard that could become a hazard during heavy winds. This could include lawn furniture, dead tree limbs, and other loose items that could damage your home if blown around in a storm.
- Locate your insurance policy and other important forms. Take photos or download a digital copy of your policy so that the information is readily available when you need it.
- If you have the time, consider taking photos of your contents to aid you in making a claim for your personal belongings if you don't already have a home inventory.
- AIA Catastrophe Central
- State-Specific Information
- Ready.gov: Hurricanes
- National Weather Service: What to Do Before a Tropical Storm or Hurricane