Heed all evacuation notices from state and local officials. If your community is told to evacuate, do so as soon as possible.
WASHINGTON (PRWEB) October 09, 2018
As Hurricane Michael threatens the Florida panhandle, the American Insurance Association offers these tips for those who are preparing for the storm.
- Heed all evacuation notices from state and local officials. If your community is told to evacuate, do so as soon as possible.
- Sign up for emergency alerts so you have the most up-to-date information about the storm.
- Identify the location of a safe place to take shelter in the event that you need to evacuate.
- If it’s still safe for you to be in your home, remove any items from your yard that could become a hazard during heavy winds. This could include lawn furniture, dead tree limbs, and other loose items that could damage your home if blown around in a storm. Move valuables to a higher place in your home to protect them from flood damage.
- Locate your insurance policy and other important documents. Take photos or download a digital copy of your policy so that the information is readily available when you need it. If you have the time and you don’t already have a home inventory, consider taking photos of your home’s contents to aid you in making a claim for your personal belongings.