American Family Care Launches AFC/TeleCare to Combat COVID-19

Share Article

Nation’s Largest Urgent Care Provider Limits Exposure with Virtual Visits.

As the coronavirus pandemic spreads, American Family Care (AFC), the nation’s leading provider of urgent care and accessible primary care, launches its telemedicine platform, AFC/TeleCare, as a solution in this healthcare crisis. The American Family network of nationwide healthcare clinics will now provide virtual visits, allowing our medical providers to easily connect with patients for all of their healthcare needs, including assessment/screening of COVID-19 symptoms or any other healthcare problems, such as acute illnesses and trauma, help managing chronic illness and prescription medication as needed all from the safety of your home.

AFC/TeleCare enables providers to quickly treat and as necessary, refer patients to the nearest AFC clinic or connect them to other healthcare entities as needed. American Family Care’s AFC/TeleCare service helps to stem the spread of coronavirus infection while still providing the quality and convenient care patients have come to know and trust.

“I’ve always felt telemedicine had an important role in healthcare, and now the COVID-19 pandemic has catapulted virtual visits into the mainstream,” says AFC’s Founder and CEO, Dr. Bruce Irwin. “Our country has such an enormous need for telemedicine right now that the government and insurance companies urge people to use it and will now pay for it. However, virtual medicine only works properly within an existing healthcare network of brick and mortar facilities. With more than 230 clinics in 24 states across the country, AFC is prepared and equipped as an unbeatable, cost-effective and efficient healthcare delivery system.”

Expansion of Services

AFC/TeleCare is an extension of the consistent, state-of-the-art treatment American Family Care has always offered inside its brick and mortar locations for 38 years. During this pandemic, medical providers will instruct suspected COVID-19 patients to follow CDC next-steps for testing. For those not suspected to have COVID-19, the medical providers will recommend treatment and if needed, prescribe medication. AFC/TeleCare providers will refill prescriptions for their roster of AFC patients and those unaffiliated with AFC, so they don’t risk infection at doctor appointments.

“With self-isolation in this unprecedented healthcare crisis, we know this is a trying, stressful time, especially if you get sick,” says Dr. Irwin. “With AFC/TeleCare, we can assess 85 percent of the health issues people face, so they never have to walk into a clinic. The other 15 percent we can treat at one of our clinics where we provide x-rays, laboratory testing, stitches, casts and splints. Whether you’re suffering from COVID-19, allergies, the flu or a chronic condition, our goal with AFC/TeleCare is to quickly diagnose and provide treatment, saving time as we continue to save lives.”

How AFC/TeleCare Works:

The goal is to relieve an already burdened health care system, reduce vulnerable populations to coronavirus exposure and provide medical care to patients who are quarantined at home or practicing social distancing. In a virtual visit, physicians and advanced practice providers will screen you for COVID-19 and other illnesses. They can prescribe medications even if you’re not a regular AFC patient. If you need in-person treatment, they will recommend you visit an AFC clinic or other local healthcare facility. Visits can be performed on anyone old enough to consent, utilizing a smartphone, tablet, or computer. Most insurance companies will cover the cost for a copay fee. If insurance doesn’t cover, a flat fee may be charged. Fees and hours of service may vary by location. To find the AFC closest to you, go to http://www.afcurgentcare.com/locations and click on the COVID-19 banner at the top to make a virtual appointment.

About American Family Care:

Founded by Dr. Bruce Irwin with a single location in 1982, American Family Care has pioneered the concept of convenient, patient-centric healthcare. Today, with more than 200 clinics and 600 in-network physicians caring for nearly 3 million patients a year, AFC is the nation’s leading provider of urgent care, accessible primary care, and occupational medicine. Ranked by Inc. magazine as one of the fastest-growing companies in the U.S., AFC’s stated mission is to provide the best healthcare possible, in a kind and caring environment, while respecting the rights of all patients, in an economical manner, at times and locations convenient to the patient. For more information, visit http://www.AmericanFamilyCare.com.

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Nancy Bostrom
American Family Care
(919) 459-8163
Email >
Visit website