As a stewardship program, our primary purpose is to make sure those gardeners who choose to use pesticides are applying, storing and disposing of them properly
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (PRWEB) March 04, 2021
On Groundhog Day last month, Punxsutawney Phil predicted winter would be over around mid-March; this gives gardeners several weeks to get ready for the spring and summer growing season.
One of the more important, but often overlooked, aspects of gardening is the need to inventory and manage tools, soil and any unused pesticides gardeners may have purchased in previous years, according to Apply Responsibly.
“As a stewardship program, our primary purpose is to make sure those gardeners who choose to use pesticides are applying, storing and disposing of them properly,” said Julie Schlekau, a spokesperson for Apply Responsibly. “While these products have a role in the garden, we want to ensure they do not runoff into waterways or get dumped into landfills.”
She offered the following tips to help gardeners get their sheds in order:
- Inspect for expiration dates on pesticides and determine if you still can use them;
- Dispose of unused pesticides according to the instructions on the product label;
- Replenish your supplies; make sure you have enough fertilizer and soil amendments on hand;
- Sharpen and oil tools; purchase new ones you may need;
- Pre-assemble tomato cages and other structures you may need;
- Review shelves for any pesticides to make sure lids are tight and they are out of reach from children;
- Locate a disposal facility nearest you by visiting http://www.applyresponsibly.org and simply enter your zip code into the disposal tool.
“All unused pesticide products should be disposed of properly at an official pesticide drop-off location,” said Schlekau. “Our online tool is an easy way to help homeowners do the right thing.”
Since 2008, the Apply Responsibly program has educated millions of California gardeners and homeowners on the proper use of pesticides. Homeowners and gardeners can visit the Apply Responsibly website to find tips, videos and resources surrounding the safe handling, storage and disposal of pesticides.
About Apply Responsibly
Apply Responsibly is a public awareness program funded by the Pyrethroid Working Group.
Through http://www.applyresponsibly.org and other educational materials, the industry alliance promotes the responsible use, storage and disposal of pesticides commonly used in the garden and outside home as a way to help protect California’s water and environment. The Pyrethroid Working Group is comprised of following companies: AMVAC Chemical; BASF Corporation; Bayer CropScience; FMC Corporation; Syngenta Crop Protection; and Valent U.S.A. LLC.