"We knew this was a game-changer for driver risk management"
CAPE MAY, N.J. (PRWEB) December 15, 2020
The eDriving study identified the initial risk level of active business drivers using the Mentor app (i.e., Very High Risk, High Risk, Medium Risk, Low Risk or Very Low Risk), based on their first month’s FICO® Safe Driving Score – a score derived from driving behavior telematics. It then measured progress over periods of six, nine, 12, and 18 months of using the app.
Over a six-month period, those initially categorized as Very High Risk or High Risk experienced an average 32% increase in their FICO® Safe Driving Score (from 509 to 670), moving them up into the Medium Risk category. Over a longer period of 15-months, those initially categorized as Very High Risk or High Risk experienced an even greater average increase in their FICO® Safe Driving Score of 38% (517 to 717), moving them up into the Low Risk category.
While FICO® Safe Driving Score improvement was the most significant for drivers who were initially identified as Very High Risk or High Risk, those identified as Medium Risk also improved, and Low Risk drivers maintained their good performance levels.
In terms of individual driving behaviors, users saw a significant decrease in the number of negative Acceleration, Braking, Cornering, Phone Distraction, and Speeding events, though the reduction in Speeding and Distraction events was most notable.
- Over a six-month period, those initially categorized as Very High Risk or High Risk experienced an average 71% decrease in Speeding events (78 to 22 per month).
- Over a period of 15-months, those initially categorized as V- ery High Risk or High Risk experienced an average 82% decrease in Speeding events (69 to 12 per month), confirming a sustained improvement in driver behavior when using the Mentor app over a longer period of time.
- Drivers initially categorized as Medium Risk experienced a similar level of improvement, with an average 85% decrease in Speeding events (29 to 4) over a 15-month
- Over a six-month period, those initially categorized as Very High Risk or High Risk experienced an average 39% decrease in Distraction events (142 to 86 per month).
- Over a 15-month period, those initially categorized as Very High Risk or High Risk experienced an average 57% decrease in Distraction events (75 to 32), again demonstrating a significant and sustained improvement in driver behavior when using the Mentor program over a longer period.
- Drivers initially categorized as Medium Risk saw an average 19% decrease (63 to 51) in Distraction events over a six-month period, and an average 39% decrease (44 to 27) in Distraction events over a 15-month
Other significant findings:
- Over a six-month period, those initially categorized as Medium Risk saw an average 9% increase in their FICO® Safe Driving Score (668 to 729), moving them up into the Low Risk
- Over a six-month period, those initially categorized as Low Risk sustained their classification, seeing a marginal average increase in their FICO® Safe Driving Score (767 to 770).
“When we launched Mentor to help organizations manage the safety of those who drive for work purposes, incorporating actual driving behavior insights and the flexibility to accommodate any vehicle type in any location, we knew this was a game-changer for driver risk management,” said Ed Dubens, Founder/CEO of eDriving. “Today, it’s incredible to think that 1.5 BILLION miles have been driven using the Mentor program around the world, and our analysis shows that driving behavior has significantly improved throughout the course of these trips. We’re proud that clients can witness such dramatic behavior change, and know they are proactively supporting and encouraging safer driving behaviors for the benefit of all road users.”
Launched globally in 2018, Mentor by eDriving is used by organizations around the world to help improve driver behavior among employees driving for work purposes. The digital program uses smartphone sensors to collect and analyze data on the driving behaviors most predictive of risk. These include Acceleration, Braking, Cornering, Speeding, and Phone Distraction, one of the biggest threats to road safety today.
Through eDriving’s partnership with industry analytics leader FICO, driver on-road performance is converted into an individual FICO® Safe Driving Score, which has been validated to help predict the likelihood of a driver being involved in a collision. Personalized insights are provided privately to drivers after each trip, showing both positive and negative driving events and exactly where they occurred. Additionally, engaging, interactive micro-training modules are delivered directly to the driver in-app to help promptly remediate identified risky behaviors.
“The FICO® Safe Driving Score was developed to address the ever-present issue of commercial fleet losses caused by collisions, and has been fine-tuned to the specific needs and requirements of fleet safety management programs,” noted Rachel Bell, Vice President, Scores & Analytics, at FICO. “We’re absolutely thrilled to see that this latest analysis unequivocally confirms the FICO® Safe Driving Score’s ability to be used to provide valuable and accurate driving insights, and to help promote sustainable improvement in driving behaviors, and a safer driving experience.”
eDriving helps organizations to reduce collisions, injuries, license violations and total cost of fleet ownership through a patented digital driver risk management program.
Mentor by eDriving is a smartphone-based solution that collects and analyzes driver behaviors most predictive of crash risk and helps remediate risky behavior by providing engaging, interactive micro-training modules delivered directly to the driver in the smartphone app. As part of a broader risk management platform, Virtual Risk Manager®, eDriving provides organizations with everything they need to establish safety as a strategic imperative, and support drivers and managers as they strive to create a crash-free culture®.
eDriving is the digital driver risk management partner of choice for many of the world’s largest organizations, supporting over 1,000,000 drivers in 96 countries. Over the past 25 years, eDriving’s research-validated programs have been recognized with over 100 awards around the world.
For more visit http://www.edriving.com
FICO powers decisions that help people and businesses around the world prosper. Founded in 1956 and based in Silicon Valley, the company is a pioneer in the use of predictive analytics and data science to improve operational decisions. FICO holds more than more than 195 US and foreign patents on technologies that increase profitability, customer satisfaction and growth for businesses in financial services, telecommunications, health care, retail, and many other industries. Using FICO solutions, businesses in more than 100 countries do everything from protecting 2.6 billion payment cards from fraud, to helping people get credit, to ensuring that millions of airplanes and rental cars are in the right place at the right time.
Learn more at http://www.fico.com
 At least one trip per month
 FICO® Safe Driving Scores were initially categorized as Risky, Poor, Average, Good and Great. These were updated to the new corresponding categories on July 29, 2020.
 Analysis used data from trips classified as ‘Business’ only (no ‘Passenger’ or ‘Personal’ trips)