SAN ANTONIO (PRWEB) October 01, 2020
ASM Global, the world’s leading venue management and services company, and Port San Antonio today announced initial timelines for the construction of a $60-million, 130,000-square-foot Innovation Center complex which includes a 2,500-seat, multi-purpose technology arena, the first of its kind in North America. Upon completion in 2022, the venue will be one of the most versatile in ASM’s portfolio of 325+ facilities worldwide, accommodating world-class esports competitions, concerts, corporate functions, elite hospitality, an array of hands-on educational programs in leading technologies, and more.
“We salute the Port and its leadership for their forward-thinking vision and desire to further develop the large campus into a hub for global innovation,” said Bob Newman, President and CEO of ASM Global. “We look forward to partnering in bringing this innovative, world-class venue to life and delivering unparalleled experiences for the entire South Texas region and beyond.”
Located in the heart of the 1,900-acre Port campus on the site of San Antonio’s former Kelly Field Air Force Base — already one of the nation’s fastest-growing innovation destinations — the new facility will be at the center of major activities that are transforming the economic trajectory of the region. Construction will begin this October, with completion scheduled for early 2022. It will be led by Sundt Construction with designs developed by San Antonio-based RVK Architects. Stafford Sports is serving as the Port’s consultant on the project.
“In an increasingly connected world, this Innovation Center will help develop and strengthen the best talent and ideas with a sharp focus on addressing today’s biggest challenges and participating in an exciting world of opportunities across the nation and around the world to solve those challenges,” said Port President & CEO Jim Perschbach. “We could not have selected a better partner in this project than ASM Global to join our ecosystem in San Antonio and further raise our community’s profile as a leading destination and global competitor in today’s most advanced technologies.”
Key highlights of the new development project:
- 2,500-seat Technology/Esports Arena that can be configured for multiple uses in addition to esports competitions, including concerts, conventions, product launches, large-scale training programs, and special events.
- New home of the San Antonio Museum of Science & Technology (SAMSAT), hosting numerous hands-on exhibits, demonstrations, and educational programs, as well as showcasing innovations that are being developed by technology firms at the Port and throughout the region to prospective buyers.
- 24-hour LAN Gaming Center, serving as a leading destination for gaming access and events, and a community gathering space for a wide range of users, including members of the Port campus community and general public.
- Full-Scale Food Hall, providing in-venue dining and hospitality services as well as catering support for various events hosted at the center, and daily culinary options for the 14,000+ workforce currently employed by the Port’s tenant customers in leading global industries such as aerospace, cybersecurity, defense, manufacturing, education and robotics.
- High-Tech Research and Development Lab, delivering scalable space and prototyping/fabrication equipment to support the work of startups, and allowing greater collaboration between tech companies, universities and other research partners
All profits from the Innovation Center will be reinvested to support technology-focused education at the facility and elsewhere in the region, including K-12 STEM/STEAM programs as well as professional development programs.
“This next-generation development will be unlike any other in North America,” said Chuck Steedman, ASM Global Executive Vice President of Strategy and Development. “All of us at ASM are excited to be able to leverage our extensive esports and venue management expertise, not just for the benefit of the local community and economy, but also to serve as a global showcase of American innovation.”
About ASM Global:
ASM Global is the world’s leading venue management and services company. The company was formed by the combination of AEG Facilities and SMG, global leaders in venue and event strategy and management. The company’s elite venue network spans five continents, with a portfolio of more than 325 of the world’s most prestigious arenas, stadiums, convention and exhibition centers, and performing arts venues. From Aberdeen to Anchorage, and Sydney to Stockholm, its venues connect people through the unique power of live experiences. ASM Global’s diverse portfolio of clients benefit from the company’s depth of resources and unparalleled experience, expertise and creative problem-solving. Each day, the company’s 61,000 passionate employees around the world deliver locally tailored solutions and cutting-edge technologies to deliver maximum results for venue owners and amazing experiences for guests. By consistently looking for new ways to envision, innovate and empower the spaces and places that bring people together, ASM Global elevates the human spirit while delivering the highest value for all stakeholders. For more information, please visit https://asmglobal.com/
About Port San Antonio:
Port San Antonio is the Alamo City’s largest and most dynamic technology and innovation campus — a place that provides connected solutions in an increasingly connected world. Our 1,900-acre platform just southwest of downtown San Antonio is home to leading global industries such as aerospace, cybersecurity, defense, manufacturing, education and robotics. More than 80 tenant customers employ more than 14,000 people on our unique air-, rail- and highway-served property. Together, they generate over $5 billion in annual economic activity in our region. Thanks to a vast and growing array of highly specialized commercial and industrial spaces — combined with strategic business and talent development support our team and our stakeholders provide — industries based here are connecting with one-another as they deliver technological innovations that are transforming mature industry sectors in our region, across the country and around the world. For more information, please visit http://www.portsanantonio.us.