Britannica salutes these amazing educators, who inspire and engage students in innovative ways. We congratulate the winners and thank them for transforming education and unleashing student potential every day.
CHICAGO (PRWEB) June 25, 2019
Britannica Digital Learning today announced the winners of the first annual StandOut Awards for K-12 educators in the United States who have performed outstanding works and improved their schools and communities.
The competition’s top finalist and grand-prize winner is Robert Schutte, a teacher at the Emma Donnan Elementary and Middle School in Indianapolis, Indiana, who boosted the core skills of his students with games and technology, creating a robotics program and an award-winning Scrabble team, among other accomplishments. Schutte will receive a cash prize of $10,000.
“Robert Schutte has had an inspirational career as a champion for change,” said Eric Delli Bovi, president & CEO of Chicago-based Urban Gateways and one of the award judges. “By creating a broad range of engaging learning opportunities he’s beautifully demonstrated what it means to go the extra mile for his students, school and community.”
The semifinalists, who will each receive a $1,000 cash award, were:
- Luke Allpress, an educator in Agua Fria Union High School in Avondale, Arizona, who revamped his local structured tutoring program for students, improving student success.
- Ashley Butler, an educator at Pickens High School in Pickens, South Carolina, who established a local pen-pal program for students to interact with other local schools. A Golden Apple Award winner, she also coaches the cheerleading team, co-directs the student pageant, and participates in the Reading with the School Athletes program.
- Bryan Chase Haecker, a teacher in Earl Warren High School in San Antonio, Texas, who used woodshop projects in his construction class to enhance students’ skills and also create community-service opportunities for them working with Habitat for Humanity.
- Hadassah Weiner Friedman, a teacher Gertrude K. Edelman Sabal Palm Elementary School in Miami, Florida, who created a local mini-farm program, fostering healthy habits by providing fresh eggs to the school while instilling leadership skills and a sense of responsibility in students.
- Barbara Wright, an educator at Birchwood Intermediate School in Huntington Station, New York, who organized the painting of a local bridge that connects two school districts, encouraging community involvement and bringing students together.
“Britannica salutes these amazing educators, who inspire and engage students in innovative ways,” said Karthik Krishnan, global CEO of the Britannica Group. “We congratulate the winners and thank them for transforming education and unleashing student potential every day.”
Winners were chosen on the basis of their impact and contributions to community building, problem solving and fostering strong relationships. In their applications nominees were asked to write short essays explaining their work and were encouraged to share videos about their programs. In addition to Delli Bovi, judging was be done by Britannica Digital Learning staff and two other outside judges: Tamiko Brown, Librarian at Ed White E-STEM Magnet School; and Ravi Hutheesing, Cultural Catalyst & Global Keynote Speaker, Ravi Unites, Inc.
About Britannica Digital Learning
Our mission is simple: to inspire curiosity and the joy of learning. Future dreamers, leaders, and builders depend on educators every day to help them learn to examine their world more deeply. We partner with educators, school districts, ministries and media companies all around the world. Trusted in over 83 countries, translated into over 15 languages and used by more than 150 million students, we provide educators and learners with effective, enriching, and innovative tools, resources, and ideas to meet evolving teaching and learning needs. Britannica Digital Learning is a division of the Britannica Group, which is headquartered in Chicago. Information about North American products and services is at https://britannicalearn.com/.