Economists love carbon taxation because it is a market-based policy instrument... in their minds, more “economically efficient” than regulations and subsidy programs. They forget that such taxes are rarely alternatives to regulations and subsidies – they just become redundant add-ons.
Past News ReleasesRSS
CALGARY, Alberta (PRWEB) April 04, 2019
As carbon tax unpopularity grows in Canada, becoming a major political and personal issue, Friends of Science Society has issued “Just the Facts on Carbon Tax” rebutting a recent Ecofiscal Commission report that attempted to pacify objections, as reported by Macleans’, on March 29, 2019.
Forced and humiliating personal sacrifices will not make people happy to “save the planet” as the French government is finding out, as reported by CNN, March 17, 2019. Protests continue in France as demonstrators clash with police
Friends of Science report contains 12 points to rebut Ecofiscal:
1. Climate change is the last on the list of priorities for Canadians according to Ecofiscal’s own poll conducted by Abacus Data (Feb. 2018)
2. There is no open debate on carbon taxes and climate policy. Canadian media does not support Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press on climate change.
3. Extreme weather is unrelated to human influence on climate or carbon dioxide concentrations.
4. Carbon tax is not effective in reducing carbon dioxide/GHG emissions.
5. Carbon taxes hurt jobs and drive commerce and industry out-of-business or offshore. In 2013, the EU industry minister said such energy policies were causing an ‘industrial massacre’.
6. Suggesting that a rebate (carbon dividend) is ‘larger than carbon cost to families’ is impossible math, deceptive and dishonest; the rebate does not incorporate the incremental rise in cost of living as carbon taxes are applied to everything. “Tax ‘em and bribe ‘em with their own money.”
7. Canada one of the largest emitters? Faulty logic. Where is the climate justice for the world’s second largest, cold, vast, resource exporting nation?
8. Elites versus the People – tax-free/tax-exempt/tax-avoiding pension funds, sovereign wealth funds and union funds see you as their ATM for unfunded pension liabilities.
9. Fair and Equal? Green billionaires have funded the climate ‘crisis’ campaign for their own vested interests.
10. A tax grab and more – watch for the ‘personal carbon ration’
11. A cash grab by government – with an alarming scope of income that could be larger than even income taxes!
12. Not science-based – Carbon dioxide is not a control knob that can fine tune climate.
Ottawa energy policy consultant, Robert Lyman, explains: “Economists love carbon taxation because it is a market-based policy instrument, and thus, in their minds, more “economically efficient” than regulations and subsidy programs. They forget that such taxes are rarely, if ever, used as alternatives to regulations and subsidies – they just become redundant, costly add-ons.”
Lyman notes that to reach Canada’s proposed emissions reduction targets, energy prices would have to be so high that they would drive millions of people into bankruptcy and major businesses would move offshore.
Claims of threatened polar bears will be debunked and special Canadian climate data on solar influences will be presented next week at Friends of Science sold out 16th Annual Event “Polar Bears and Solar Flares” – with guest speakers Dr. Susan Crockford and Dr. Willie Soon.
Friends of Science Society says the US is reviewing climate change science for data manipulation and overstatement of threats and Canada should, too.
Friends of Science Society is an independent group of earth, atmospheric and solar scientists, engineers, and citizens who are celebrating its 16th year of offering climate science insights. After a thorough review of a broad spectrum of literature on climate change, Friends of Science Society has concluded that the sun is the main driver of climate change, not carbon dioxide (CO2).
Friends of Science Society
P.O. Box 23167, Mission P.O.
Canada T2S 3B1
Toll-free Telephone: 1-888-789-9597