WILMINGTON, N.C. (PRWEB) August 10, 2018
The construction of an interchange at the intersection of Kerr Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway is moving forward after years of discussion. This project will impact approximately 30 homes and businesses, and costs are expected to be over $23 million.
However, the offers some property owners receive from state officials may amount to far less than what their property is worth, according to former NCDOT attorneys at the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm. They suggest that rather than accepting these offers, owners may want to exercise often-misunderstood rights, including the ability to negotiate for a “second check.”
Wilmington property and business owners in the path of the Kerr Avenue interchange will soon receive purchase offers from state officials. According to attorney Jason Campbell, with the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm and former NCDOT attorney, property owners should be careful – a project with this size and scope can spare a few moments to ensure citizens get a fair shake.
“Property owners receive a very official offer and think that is the ‘law’ for what they are able to receive,” Campbell said. “If an offer has been made, there may be a more complete and satisfactory offer to be gained through reappraisal and negotiations.”
By North Carolina law, property owners whose land or businesses are targeted for acquisition ultimately receive an offer from the state. If the owner chooses not to accept the offer and takes no further steps, the state will still acquire the land and deposit the amount of the original offer with the County Clerk for the owner.
This is where the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm’s “second check” approach comes in. In most cases, the property owner is then free to pursue a potentially better, fairer arrangement, without losing the first offer.
If continued negotiations do not change the offer, the owner still has the first offer. But if continued negotiations are successful, the property owner will receive a “second” check in addition to the first offer.
“We hate it when we see property owners get less money than they should, simply because they didn’t know the full extent of their rights,” said Stan Abrams, also with the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm and a former NCDOT attorney.
The NC Eminent Domain Law Firm is available to talk with property and business owners, and to try to answer questions about the unique circumstances regarding their individual properties. Those questions typically include:
- How will the value of my property be calculated?
- Can I assume the offer for my property is fair?
- How is fair market value determined?
- What if I lease space? Will there be allowances to move my business?
- Should I get my own appraisal?
Property owners who have questions about this project and how it will affect them are encouraged to call the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm at 1-877-393-4990.
About the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm
A division of the Law Offices of James Scott Farrin, the NC Eminent Domain Law Firm is dedicated solely to representing property owners throughout North Carolina, who may be impacted by eminent domain law. The NC Eminent Domain Law Firm is led by attorneys Stan Abrams and Jason Campbell, both of whom previously worked as Assistant Attorneys General for the North Carolina Department of Justice in the Transportation Section, where they litigated condemnation cases for the NCDOT. They have over 30 years of combined experience working exclusively on eminent domain cases. The Law Offices of James Scott Farrin has the legal resources of 46 attorneys and is based in Durham, North Carolina, with 13 additional offices throughout the state to serve its clients.
NC Eminent Domain Law Firm
517 Owen Drive
Fayetteville, NC 28304